Standing around bathroom sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
I have two under mount bathroom sinks with overflow that I installed 5 years ago. They had standard pop up drains. I recently decided to go with clicker type drains. With one sink, the new drain leaked at the underneath tapered seal. Tried 2 other brands before realizing the bottom of the drain porcelain has defect. I realize I should have repaired the opening with epoxy.

With one of the replacements, I was able to install it and due to the different style tapered washer it doesn't leak. Just got lucky

The problem is standing water around the drain, which I never noticed with the old pop up drain assembly(see pics)

The ring around the drain is not proud. Can this be a defect with the sink? this is the one that has a defect on the bottom porcelain of the drain opening.

I did install this with adjustable brackets, I might be able to cut the silicon seal and angle the front down, then re-caulk. Is that a viable solution, anything else can be done. Again, I never noticed this standing water before??

Attachments

• sink 3.jpg
    sink 3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 98
  • sink 1.jpg
    sink 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 93
  • sink2.jpg
    sink2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 100
  • sink4.jpg
    sink4.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 99

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
If you unscrew the stopper, does the water still pool like that? Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the surface tension of the water is causing it to not drain completely. There's a rubber stopper under that stopper so the gap to let water in the drain may be too small to overcome the surface tension.

If you remove the water and put a liquid with lower surface tension (vinegar), does it do the same thing?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Porcelain / China products do have variations in them. Some more than others. The drain holes are not precise enough to seal without some other object to fill the gaps. Putty, silicone or rubber/sillicone gaskets and even closed cell foam are used to fill that gap.

I agree with Chucky, that the water we see in the pic may be caused by surface tension and likely would go away over time once the chemicals/oil from installation is cleaned off.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Thank you for the info,

I tried vinegar, standing water just slightly less, however next few days it's about 1/2 of what it was from first install.

Didn't get lucky after all, slight leak. Would this defect cause this, see photo.

From what I've read the fix is to dry area, lightly sand, wipe down and fill in with epoxy and add a little silicon for good measure.

Second photo is pressing the tapered rubber seal against the bottom of the sink drain opening.

I initially thought the drain assembly manufacturers were to blame. Since the sinks and assemblies are all from
China, you would think they would add what's needed to accommodate the poor sink quality control in their replacement kits.

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 80
  • bad seal1.jpg
    bad seal1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks