Whole house shutoff/leak detection system

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Big Teddy, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Big Teddy

Big Teddy New Member

I'm looking for a whole house shutoff/leak detection system. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I have a well water supply and I have seen a few types of systems for this. Most systems seem to use a shutoff motorized ball valve that just doesn't make sense to me because of the placement in a well system. If you place it between the pump and the pressure switch then when a leak is detected it will close the supply from the pump but the pump will still run because the pressure switch will demand water due to the leak. It will either burn out the pump or rupture a pipe in the well due to over pressure. If you mount it after the pressure switch, any leak upstream (Tank, Manifold, Etc) will just keep leaking because the pressure switch will keep demand for water because of the low pressure created due to the leak. Make sense?

Thanks
    Ted
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member