Whirlpool Junk Water Heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did a service call on a junk Whirlpool gas water heater. The junk Whirlpool gas water heater was less than 1 year old. The thermocouple on the junk
Whirlpool gas water heater was bad. This AM I called the junk Whirlpool water heater support for contractors. I was told the thermocouple was not covered because the only time they fail is if the combustion chamber reaches over 400 F. I asked about the junk Whirlpool water heaters air intake getting clogged. They told me that the junk Whirlpool water heaters air intake was supposed to be cleaned with a bristle brush according to the supplied directions that came with the junk Whirlpool water heater. When asked how the home owner should know when it needed to be cleaned there was no reply. The support person then became agitated and the conversation ended. Junk whirlpool water heaters and lousy support.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Wh

Save the original draft of that letter so you will be able to change the manufacturer's name and repost it when you have the problem with the other brands made by the same company.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Along with these works of art I'm having problems with another big box store fiasco.

Not the first time I've had problems with GE (Rheem) water heaters.

The water heater sounds like a jet engine landing in the basement when you use hot water and shut it down.

Obviously there is a obstruction in the those dielectric nipples or the dip tube.

Cold water to the house doesn't have the problem.... soon as you run hot you can hear the noise which is loud. Tank is only 2 years old. Those dielectric nipples have ports inside of them. The shut off to the tank is a full port Nibco ball valve.

Customer already got the runaround from GE/Rheem and just wants me to go ahead and fix it while I'm there.

Last GE I worked on the cold inlet was threaded too far beyond tolerance and was causing the dip tube to fall into the tank. Terrible design and the smallest dip tube in length I've ever seen.:(

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
wait till a GE overheats

Wait till you get a GE water heater
with some dirt or bad gas go through the orfice

Its made by Rheem and if any type of trouble
like a clogged orfice putting out a bad flame
is detected by that glass vial filed with oil,

the unit is finished, un-repairable......ka-poot.....

already had that problem about 4 times with Rheem

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When Rheem first started using the ball-type heat check nipples. there were a lot of complaints about clicking noises. If you called them , they would send out new nipples. They are now not using the ball type, it is a rubber flapper type.

They have to use a heat check to squeeze out a few decimal points on the energy rating.

The only problem I have seen with the HD models is that if you walk by the receiving area of the store, I have seen them stacked FIVE pallets high waiting to be stocked out into the aisle. If you open one up and the nipples are bent over at a noticeable angle, you know that poor guy was on the bottom of the stack!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I just installed a Rheem 75 Gal. with 1" nipples. The water way in that nipple was the flapper type that you describe but was only 1/2"or less.......whats with that?

I didn't install them but used regular insulated 1" nips.

Michael McCann

Reaction score
Placement of W/H

I am moving my water heater to the opposite side of my house located in the laundry room. From what I have read on this thread I'm guesing it would be best to set the water heater on the opposite end of the laundry room away from the dryer and laundry chemicals?
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks