While removing tub spout, copper broke in wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Rileydog123

Reaction score
I am selling my house and was trying to replace the tub spout as it was hanging far from the wall

I was unscrewing the kohler tub spout that is 17 years old. House is 17 yo. This is a tub/shower set up.
No set screw.

Good news -got the tub spout off. Bad news, it actually twisted the copper behind the wall to the point of breaking it.

In looking and feeling into the wall, it feels like the broke copper is attached to a different metal very close to the break off point.

Is there any way to fix this without tearing tile off? If not, what is the suggested way on how to fix this once I have a piece of tile off?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 311

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NO GOOD NEWS about what you did, and the ONLY way to fix it is to get to the broken piece in the wall and unsolder it. How you do that is something we cannot tell you without knowing more about the installation.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Face it. You will have to open the wall to get space to work. You can not put a propane torch in a small hole and not set the house on fire. As HJ says, just what you will have to do depends on the overall installation, but you will have to have space to work. Depending on your skills, you might want to consider a professional.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could let someone in the plumbing profession take you out to dinner. That would be several hundred dollars cheaper than the alternative. You really buggered that thing up, darling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks