Can a powerful tub spout result in water getting behind the tile into the backerboard, or result in any other type of damage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
the power of the water gushing out of the tub spout is intimidating. it sounds like i am taking off in a fighter jet. - i may be exaggerating, but is there a potential for damage? is water more likely to soften the wall behind the tile? is there any way i can soften or redirect the force of the water? i was thinking to have a bucket under the tub spout so that the water does not hit the tile wall as much.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 002342.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You have excess pressure and code smartly calls for max. eighty psi.
Get a pressure reducing valve.
There should be a complete waterproofing behind the tile, the tile just protects the waterproofing membrane behind backer board or mortar. But, if you only have drywall behind the tile without proper waterproofing, then it could have impact.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with the above. That amount of pressure that close to the tile could scour out the grout from the tile.

Shower heads have flow restrictors that work regardless of the water pressure, but tub spouts do not.

The first thing to do would be to verify your water pressure with a gauge at a hose spigot. Then if its over 80PSI locate your water main valve or water main pipe to see if there is a PRV already installed. It either could be repaired, replaced or a new PRV installed to bring the max water pressure to a legal 80 PSI.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A properly built tub should not be a problem but who ever builds a tub or shower correctly? Ive seen so many leaky pans etc. and Its not my trade or job but some really crappy work done on showers and tiled surfaces when it comes to leaks , So I could understand concern

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks