Which Well Pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by dm0978, Aug 31, 2013.

1. dm0978

dm0978 New Member

I have a submersible well pump feeding a 1500 underground storage tank. I now want to install a pump which will draw from the storage tank and feed an undergound sprinkler system. Should I buy a conventional jet pump with a pressure switch and pressure tank, or an electronically controlled pump, which requires no pressure switch or tank?
  2. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

I'd buy a submersible pump, install it in the tank then install a Cycle Stop Valves "Pside-kick" kit. The Pside-kick comes with a small tank, cycle stop valve, a pressure switch and everything you need. http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/st-viewcat.php?cid=26.

Stay away from VFD pumps, they are expensive and troublesome.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Conventional jet pumps are not too shabby in this application. Their 'sweet spot' is right in the operating window of common lawn sprinkler heads. A baby pressure tank combines with the pressure switch already on the jet pump to give you a complete supply for a sprinkler system.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  4. dm0978

dm0978 New Member

I've looked at the Pside-kick. I think I understand it, but I'm not sure. How is it different than a pressure tank, pressure switch, and water pressure regulator combination.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Jet pumps have a more pronounced curve and as a result the loops are easier to tune to match the curve. A sub would be more energy efficient if properly matched but they may be harder to match due to their curve.

A CSV would allow for a wider range of GPM and save having to tune the loops. When used with a CSV, a sub that does not float each impeller would likely draw less power than one that does.