Which circular saw should I buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

David W.

Reaction score
I like the Milwaukee. Bulletproof and runs about $130 at the big box stores. Did a lot of framing on my house with it. Look for sales and it approaches $100.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It really depends on how and how much you intend to use the thing...big difference between a seldom used thing, and one you will be using regularly. At that price point, you probably couldn't get a wormdrive, but they are smoother and quieter (and heavier!) but are a good workhorse. I have a PorterCable that has been working well for a number of years...has a nice wrench holder built-in, and easy height adjustments. Some are available with the blade on the left or right...I'm right-handed and like the blade on the left since it's easier to see your cutting line. That means your 'good' material should be to your right, and some people don't operate that way, so think about it before you choose left or right-handed one.

Reaction score
Right now i'm between the Makita 5007F, the Dewalt DWE575SB, and the Milwaukee 6390-21. I like how the Makita is cheap, how the Milwaukee has the tiltable handle, and the Dewalt has the electrical brake (that's my favorite to be honest...safety is paramount).

Whats the deal with magnesium? Is it just lighter or something?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes, as long as you don't get it near flames. IF you notice, most direct drive saws have the blade on the right side, while gear drives, and many battery powered ones, have it on the left. It is much easier to follow the line, for a right handed person, with the blade on the left side.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Right now i'm between the Makita 5007F, the Dewalt DWE575SB, and the Milwaukee 6390-21. I like how the Makita is cheap, how the Milwaukee has the tiltable handle, and the Dewalt has the electrical brake (that's my favorite to be honest...safety is paramount).

Whats the deal with magnesium? Is it just lighter or something?

Thanks!

I would go with the Milwaukee. The Makita is cheap. It may be good, depends on what you plan to do with it.

The electric brake on the Dewalt is nice for safety, But Dynamic breaking on a Brush motor is hard on the Armature, Brushes and Power switch, that shorts the motor winding out to stop it. And the parts are made in China. May be best to get at least spare brushes.

Have Fun. Keep all of those fingers. And the power cord too !

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some car manufacturers use magnesium for some parts mostly because it is light and strong. It's used in other things where strong and light are worth the extra costs (with maybe titanium as the super premium option). It's pretty stable, but you can light it if you get it hot enough...that's not easy, but possible. For a practical point, on a tool, that would almost require putting a torch to it.

David W.

Reaction score
I second what the others said. Worm drive saws are heavy and expensive if you want something basic. Magnesium is expensive for marginal benefit in a circular saw. I really like the Makita as much as the Milwaukee. I just happen to have the Milwaukee and have had zero trouble with it after 15 years of hard use.

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
You started out with " for about a $100," so I assume price is a priority.

If you just need a saw for home use, its hard to beat the convenience of the Ryobi cordless they sell at the big box stores. They often have them boxed with other tools, and almost always have a package that includes the tool, battery and charger. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...-1-2-in-Circular-Saw-Tool-Only-P507/205806375

Ryobit and Milwaukee also have brushless cordless tools that will work even better, but you will pay more. If you really have a $100 budget, and its only for occasional home use, then the one I linked above would work fine.

I have been using quite a few of the Ryobi cordless tools, and I'm almost a complete convert to cordless. I have a cordless hammer drill that has has worked well for masonry work, and a cordless impact wrench that works extremely well for getting bolts off my 3/4 ton 4WD truck. I have been pleasantly surprised by how well they work.

Bruce

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks