where do I buy this vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

ironshaikh

Reaction score
Not plumbing related, but I need to buy a new intake vent cover for my furnace room. It's simply a vent cover, I can't find it at Menards, home depot etc. They just sell exterior vents. I need an intake vent for a 6" vent pipe and nothing more.

I may have gone a little crazy with a pressure washer the other day.....

Attachments

• IMG_20140904_100124.jpg
    IMG_20140904_100124.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 268

ironshaikh

Reaction score
What is it for? It looks like a common dryer vent but if that were the case it would be 4" not 6".
Furnace intake.

It doesn't go to the furnace itself persay, but rather is an additional intake pipe that just goes to the furnace area itself.

The real furnace intake is another traditional grey box. This one is just supplementary to the area itself that for some reason is mandated by code.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
Furnace intake.

It doesn't go to the furnace itself persay, but rather is an additional intake pipe that just goes to the furnace area itself.

The real furnace intake is another traditional grey box. This one is just supplementary to the area itself that for some reason is mandated by code.

notice the wording in the description of the item: Vent , not intake. If what the OP says he has is truly an intake for furnace make up air, that is the wrong product. It needs to have open, solid venting and not one that opens when air is forced out it, as in the above drier vent.

Last edited by a moderator:

ironshaikh

Reaction score
weird, I went to menards and all I found were exhaust vents/dryer vents. No intake.

I'll just order the Imperial one, thanks guys!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF that is an air intake or exhaust for a furnace room it is MUCH too small especially when you consider that its area has to be derated to compensate for the louvers. That one looks like it has movable louvers which means it IS an exhaust since an "intake" would pull them closed tighter, not open them.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes I agree that the link I provided is for an exhaust vent and he should power wash it before installing it. ;) I was going by the OP's photo and by the looks of it, would allow very little air in. Do you think the wrong vent was installed originally?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It looks like it has fixed louvers so it could allow air to flow either way, but they would severely restrict its "free area" as far as meeting the minimums for a furnace room.

SHR

Reaction score
The OP posted a picture of a basic EXHAUST VENT. Prior to the pressure washer creating an opening, the EXHAUST VENT in the picture would not have allowed any significant air IN. If this is really to be a combustion air INTAKE vent, someone used the wrong cover to begin with. Get a air intake hood and replace the broken EXHAUST vent.

056freshairintake.jpg

http://www.menards.com/main/heating...ducts-6-fresh-air-intake/p-114923-c-14260.htm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks