When is PVC cement bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Gundraw

Reaction score
How do you know when PVC cement is "Jelly-like" and can't be trusted. I bought a big can at the beginning of May, probably opened later that month. I have been gluing with it ever since and try to be diligent of having the lid at least pushed close between joints, and screwed closed between sessions (overnight).

I just noticed today that the dauber is starting to "ball up" while applying the glue. I took the dauber out and the glue runs off, but I wouldn't call it "water-like". The glue certainly "sloshes" around in the can. I even opened a new can I bought the other day, and it doesn't seem like water either. While the new can does seem a little thinner, I am trying to figure out if my recent work has been compromised.

Perhaps the best way of describing, is the glue does not DRIP off of the dauber when pulled out, but it runs easily. This video: When is PVC cement bad, shows cement that is certainly thicker than mine. Here is a picture of my cement right after pulling the dauber:

1692989797664.jpeg

Again, probably 3 months since opening. I know it has been hot. I will start using the new can on anything critical. Do I need to be concerned?

Last edited:

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
How do you know when PVC cement is "Jelly-like" and can't be trusted. I bought a big can at the beginning of May, probably opened later that month. I have been gluing with it ever since and try to be diligent of having the lid at least pushed close between joints, and screwed closed between sessions (overnight).

I just noticed today that the dauber is starting to "ball up" while applying the glue. I took the dauber out and the glue runs off, but I wouldn't call it "water-like". The glue certainly "sloshes" around in the can. I even opened a new can I bought the other day, and it doesn't seem like water either. While the new can does seem a little thinner, I am trying to figure out if my recent work has been compromised.

Perhaps the best way of describing, is the glue does not DRIP off of the dauber when pulled out, but it runs easily. This video: When is PVC cement bad, shows cement that is certainly thicker than mine. Here is a picture of my cement right after pulling the dauber:

View attachment 93670

Again, probably 3 months since opening. I know it has been hot. I will start using the new can on anything critical. Do I need to be concerned?

Not a pro.

That looks fine to me. I think there's a pretty good window to use, but I don't think it's a binary change of material that denotes cement gone bad - just a slowish change from liquid to glop. You kind of have to make the call. Since it would be only for me, I would use it.

What you can do if you have any scrap fittings is to try it if you're in a pinch and can't easily get to a store.

John

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
When it gets jelly like, do not trust it. I've used it like that for irrigation but don't trust it for continuous water pressure such as for wells. I've thrown out dozen of cans. Once open, a month later it's jelly.

Eman85

Reaction score
FWIW I only buy the small cans since I hate PVC so I don't fool with it except for drains. Small can if it seems compromised I toss it and I'm not out much. I find that between jobs if I don't tighten the cap with pliers it goes bad quickly.

Gundraw

Reaction score
If it makes a difference, everything I have been working on is DWV, no pressure systems. I did glue up some more fittings today with brand new glue, and certainly noticed that it is runnier (as it dribbled all over my floor).

I understand what some of your are saying, but "jelly-like" is a pretty subjective term. I have a feeling JohnCT is right, the stuff starts watery, then every day after that, it gets a little thicker. I suppose the question is, when is it too thick?

The small can comment is well taken, but I seem to recall there being some rules about dauber size vs pipe size. I have been glueing 3 and 4" drain lines, so I bought a can with the big dauber. The 16 oz can I just bought also has the big dauber, so I am assuming that is probably a better choice for intermediate size jobs such as mine.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

View attachment 93670

good rule of thumb...if it doesn't perform like new, throw it out. The potential leaks just ain't worth the few dollars you might save using sketch product

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I have been glueing 3 and 4" drain lines, so I bought a can with the big dauber. The 16 oz can I just bought also has the big dauber, so I am assuming that is probably a better choice for intermediate size jobs such as mine.

If the can top is the same diameter, then keep the top from the large can. Assuming it's not because nothing ever is that simple, consider cutting the dauber off the large can and epoxying it into the lid of any small can you buy. It might work?

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks