When do you say goodbye to your drain auger (rusty)

Users who are viewing this thread

John Q Florida

Reaction score
At what point do you say it's time for a new drain auger? My trusty little homeowner version has helped me out a few times over the years, including a few times where maybe my "I'm tired, this took longer than I expected, I'll hose it off tomorrow" never quite happened.

Anyway, on Youtube, all augers are shiny and new. Mine isn't. The metal isn't crumbling, but there's a healthy layer of rust on the cable.

When do the experienced/real plumbers amongst yourselves decide it's time to go?

John Q Florida

Reaction score
Ahhhh, funny guys.

Anyway, I did spring for a new cable (I kept the old housing), and although the old cable wasn't so rusty it was about to break, for $15, the new cable sure goes down the drain much more easily.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ahhhh, funny guys.

Anyway, I did spring for a new cable (I kept the old housing), and although the old cable wasn't so rusty it was about to break, for $15, the new cable sure goes down the drain much more easily.
I suspect most plumbers that do much drain cleaning use a bigger drain auger.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks