What the ?!@# is wrong with this valve body?

Users who are viewing this thread

naturegirl

Reaction score
I had this American Standard 2-handle shower (1042) roughed in several years ago, in a custom sized shower with another station available. This unit never worked (no water to riser, but water to both handles). American Standard sent me new cartridges, so that wasn't it. I finally ripped out the tile this week and took the valve body out, cuz this is one big mystery.

Water flows from handle to handle, when blown through. No water comes into the middle, where the riser fits. With the bottom nut to optional diverter removed, water flows out, over that round piece... but not out to either handle. Hope this makes sense. I have attached a few pics... I am completely befuddled about this. What is the purpose of that plastic piece with the x in the middle/ riser area, anyway?

I am wondering if the whole thing is defective. This is an old historic bldg that I have been working on, so many other projects to do. Coming back to this (can't ignore it anymore, lol). Would love to hear opinions from some pros, or whoever wants to chime in... I will be very appreciative!

valvebody.jpg

top2.jpg

top.jpg

bottom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asktom

Reaction score
The piece in the middle is to force the water down so that if there is a diverter spout water won't spalsh out of the shower head when the tub is being filled. That is a generic answer, I don't know the exact valve. If there is only one shower head and no spout the plastic piece could be removed, maybe it is clogged there. It probably unscrews - again, a generic answer.

naturegirl

Reaction score
Thank you for responding. I soaked it in vinegar and with repeated blowing, rinsing and rapping on it was able to remove VERY fine particles that were around the round disc (underneath) and not much... really. But it opened up the passageway. Unbelievable that there is a huge plastic plug that hogs up the hole, that serves no purpose for this model. This unit was sold and packaged as 'shower only', but in the literature states that the tub spout is optional. It was such a small amount of fine particles, that it is obscene that it would have clogged the whole valve body.

I can only assume (usually dangerous) that the valve bodies for both are the same, with just plugging the bottom hole with the hollow brass plug as the difference. My question is... does removing this piece cause any other issues or problems? Can I just drill it out?? It sure seems like the water would flow more efficiently. Or is it maybe a check valve of sorts? Keeping the hot/cold from crossing?

naturegirl

Reaction score
Sounds great. I will remove it then, and restore unimpeded flow to the shower head.. as it should be :)

Can't quite understand how this happens with all new plumbing (the old building had none), with whole house sediment filters in place, plus an additional spin down filter. Just wasn't much in there. Oh well. I so very much appreciate the feedback from you both. Hey, I had friends in Cave Creek... used to hang there a bit in years past. Great area. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks