What is this stem?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jechow, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jechow

jechow New Member

Who makes this steam and is it still available for purchase?

Attached Files:

2. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Did you find it lying there like that¿ Surely the fixture had a manufacturer printed on it. Or the stem has some tell tale letters and numbers. I would eye it suspiciously if it just showed up like that and sat there unresponsive to questioning.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I'll tell you right now without looking for a replacement that this did not come out of a quality of faucet worth repairing. I would venture a guess that you will not be able to find a replacement stem. My guess it it was found in a trailer. I would recommend upgrading to a better quality faucet.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Phoenix mobile home faucet
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

My thoughts exactly...

Only Alfano doesn't list that one....

So yea, it's a disposable faucet...
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Yep, buy them for 6 bucks a piece or 5 if you buy the case. And yes, I do use them on mobile homes for two reasons. # 1 they are cheap and # 2 they are the only thing I have found that will mount solidly on the 8 dollar plastic sink. No point in putting a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a Yugo.
  7. jechow

jechow New Member

Do you know the name of the manufacture of this stem?

I would like to replace my existing stem as it leaks.
  8. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

RV stores might carry them if the other guys don't have 'em.
  9. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

I get them from Compton products out of NY. But you can probably buy another faucet for the same money.
  10. Probedude

Probedude New Member

Unscrew the stem from the nut - might just have an o-ring in there that you can replace and reuse the parts you have.

Use plumbing grease as lube.
  11. jechow

jechow New Member

I discovered that the manufacture of my stem was Moen. I contacted Moen and they said that the cartridge was from a Chateau faucet that is no longer available. I was wondering if anyone knew of a shop that would have discountined Moen cartridges?

Thanks.
  12. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Moen stem double handel.In 20 yrs of repair Moen faucets this the only stem that I have ever seen.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  13. asktom

asktom Member

It is Moen. The Larsen part number is S-164-3... if anyone cares about this ancient thread.
  14. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; No point in putting a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a Yugo.

How about putting a RR, or Cadillac, grill on a VW bug? Somewhat popular a few years ago.
  15. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; The Larsen part number is S-164-3...

I'll take your word for it, and will have to, because no matter how far back I go in the Moen parts books I find NONE which use a "splined" stem or handle.
  16. asktom

asktom Member

Back in the day, you could find Moen centersets in clampacks at K-Mart that used that stem. They were less pop-up, all plastic, and you could get them in many beautiful colors. At the time I wondered why Moen would put their reputation on the line with such junk. Probably cost some clever guy his job. All swept under the rug now, though. (They may also have been sold as Stanadyne.)
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013