What do I use to reduce water pressure to Steam generator

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by CountryBumkin, Sep 5, 2009.

1. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

I am remodeling my bathroom and converting my shower to a Steam Shower. I was planning to use a Mr. Steam MS-400E generator. I noticed in the installation manual that they require the water pressure to be reduced to 15-20 psi. My water pressure is currently 60 psi. I'm on a well.

What device do I use to reduce the pressure? Preferably something small enough to fit in the cabinet (under vanity) which will house the generator.

And is this a good idea, or should i look for another brand generator that can run on full pressure?

I looked at Amerec generators but they don't have the controls in the finish that match my fixtures - but more interestingly, they want the water PH at 10.5 to 11.5 (Mr. Steam doesn't specify). My tap water is closer to 7.2 PH. Is 10.5+ reasonable?

Thanks again.
  2. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

I searched Goggle for an hour at least looking for a water regulator valve that reduced pressure to a 20psi working range and was about to give up (everything seemed to be aimed at reducing pressures to the 50-75psi range) when I found what I was looking for. Ironically, it was a link from the (this) Terry Love website to series of plumbing supplies. The solution is a Watts model 123LP valve.
    I gotta find that link again and save it as a favorite.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

steam generator

They may LIKE a 15-20 psig into the water line, but I have always connected them directly to the water system.
  4. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

It's good to know they can handle the pressure.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pressure

There are very few plumbing items, especially valves, which are NOT rated up to 150 psi working pressure.