Do I need a pressure reducing valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I agree with Jeff.

If it turns out that you did have a closed system, then I would set each tank to probably 75 psi air precharge.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes never set pressure below incoming the bladder might fully compress effectively making the tank much smaller

Mj23

Reaction score
yes never set pressure below incoming the bladder might fully compress effectively making the tank much smaller
I guess in my case, since it is set to the factory precharge of 40 psi, and the incoming pressure is 75 psi, the tank is essentially useless right now.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess in my case, since it is set to the factory precharge of 40 psi, and the incoming pressure is 75 psi, the tank is essentially useless right now.
not sure but id put air in it to 75 psi. however the tank could verywell be useless if your on an open system

Reach4

Reaction score
Not useless, but the diaphragm is stretching significantly in normal conditions.

The thermal expansion tanks that I have seen usually spec 80 psi max on the precharge.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the usefulness is questionable on a open system , because I dont think your water heater is going to raise the pressure in an open system

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks