What Did I Hit

Users who are viewing this thread

rick_ca

Reaction score
Hi all hope someone can help me I installed a submersible pump today after my two line jet pump went bad and I wanted the pump out of the house and in the well, so I pulled up the old lines in the well and measure total length which was 30feet and laid new pump 2feet higher and marked 1-1/4inch poly pipe for cutting. I installed 4wire cable, rope, hose and torque arrestor and taped every two foot now here where it gets interesting on pushing pump into pipe I hit bottom before all the poly pipe was in the well casing so pulled it out measured again this time with a plumb line and had 35feet but I could only get 25 feet in the well before hitting something solid, so I’m here looking for a solution or ideas as to what I’m into. I should mention old pipe was a two pipe system into an injector with a three foot tailpiece and a foot valve. I’m hoping to get water tomorrow but if I’m lucky and working in minus 15 deg Celsius was not pleasant at all today LOL.:confused:

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sometimes you can spin the pump to the right, not the left, and it will drop in. The casing maybe parted. What size casing is it and is it steel or PVC?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe the 6" only goes a certain distance down? Other thing you might try is a slim-line 4" pump or a 3" sub. Not too crazy about the 3" sub but still better than a jet pump. How far is it to the water? If the pump has good submergence you may be ok even at 25'. Just be careful, at 25' that pump will put out some water, you may be off the curve depending on the wet end and motor.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
no telling.. could be as valveman said, might need to work it in. could be like wellman said and the casing step down to a smaller size. but heck, could have another 2 pipe jet broke off in the hole???.. and someone just set another one in there with it, seen crazier things happen.

i dont mind 3" pumps, had really good luck with grundfos 3" in the past.. just they are really pricey. you should be able to easily get a 4" pump in though... at least you would think:confused:

Last edited:

rick_ca

Reaction score
the pump is a Myers 4inch in a 6inch well casing I spoke to a friend whos a plumber he says to remove the torque arrestor for now and see if the pump goes down further plus i will be able to see if pump is in the water without it on.

rick_ca

Reaction score
Quick Update went out and added another 20foot of poly pipe to existing new line and did as Valveman said twisted it to the right held on tight as I thought I was going to lose it glad I had the rope tied off LOL, so story as it stands I found another 10ft of drop made all connections and now have water.
Many thanks to all who responded especially Valve man and his great tip

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
From where it was tight, and the fact that it is steel casing, I am pretty sure the casing is parted. Remember you will probably have to use that same trick to get it back out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks