Well Woes and i'm tired of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Lew

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have lived in a country home in Western North Carolina for the last 16 years. I am originally from New Jersey where everything was City Water. Anyway, What I have here is a deep well ( Not sure the depth- 200 plus feet) and a Sears multi staged jet pump offset from the well in the basement with about a 15 feet run of line from the pump to the well. We are running a captive air tank as well. here's the catch. We are on a shared well with my neighbor having water rights, the well is on my land. The pump regularly loses prime ( probably 6-10 times a year) and most often during weekend usage ( with everyone home) Is there a way I can get around this? Perhaps a larger captive air tank?

Help me please! :)

Lew

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you have a backpressure control on the pump and it still works, you can set it up higher so the pump doesn't sound like it has marbles in it when you are using (trying to use) excessive amounts of water. If the pump is old, the control might not be adjustable anymore. It also depends on the model of pump you have. The only numbers that would make sense to me on that pump would be the Sta-Rite numbers not the Sears numbers. So it would be hard for you to describe to me.

bob...

Lew

Reaction score
thanks bob.

The pump itself is only 3 years old. I learned a lot about wells and pumps from my neighbor, but he died a few years ago. We replaced the footvalve about 10 years ago. My captive air tank is 40 gallons as I recall. Is this too small for a shared well? ( Both homes are running off this one tank)

Lew

Speedbump

Reaction score
The small tank (depending what 40 gallons means) can be a problem if it causes the motor to cycle while using small amounts of water. But once you start using a good supply of water the tank has nothing to do with the pressure, it's up to the pump to keep up with the usage so the bigger tank is not the answer.

Try adjusting the backpressure control while using a bunch of water. The pressure on the gauge "on the pump" should drop down to a low pressure, this is where you want to bring that pressure back up with the BPC. Bring it up until the pump gets quieter and the pressure is somewhere between 30 and 50 lbs.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks