Well with Constant Pressure Valve supplying house and irrigation system question

Users who are viewing this thread

Dunner

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently replaced my 8 gallon pressure tank with a 20 gallon tank and also replaced my 30-50 pressure switch with a 40-60 switch I have adjusted the pressure switch to 45-65 and added air to the pressure tank to 42 PSI. I also have a Constant Pressure valve that i set to 62 PSI to get better water pressure.

As far as the house is concerned everything works great.

now the questions regarding the irrigation system.

Well info:

depth 500 ft
pump at 440 ft on 1-1/4 pipe
4 inch casing with 60 ft of screening
30 GPM.

My system has 15 zones with 4 heads each. When i ran a zone for testing today i noticed that the constant pressure valve kept the pump running continuously for the duration of the test at 62 PSI. My concern is that if I run each zone for 30 minutes my pump would run constantly for 7.5 hours every other night if i water every other night and i am concerned that this might be bad for the pump.

I believe the constant pressure valve is doing what it is supposed to by keeping the pump from cycling but seems like a long run time.

I suppose i could break up the programming a bit and run 5 zones each night thus getting water to each zone every 3 days. (it is starting to get hot in north Texas)

What are the experts thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Pumps like to run....is the starting and stopping that causes wear and tear and reduces life.....as long as your well will keep up, let it rip.

Dunner

Reaction score
Thanks VAWellDriller,

So 7.5 hours is ok as long as the well can produce the water correct?
So thinking out loud... I might split into two days.. Say run 7 zone one night and 8 zones the next. That would cut the pump runtime in half for each night.... Ok I am probably over thinking this.... The pump would still have to run for 7.5 hours with another start and stop so best to just run 7.5 hours in one run as long as the well can produce the water.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
7.5 hours straight with no cycle is best for the pump. But one extra cycle is not going to hurt anything. I have a low producing well where the pump runs 24/7. It hasn't shut off in 14 years except for a few power outages. Pumps like to run even 24/7. The less starts the better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks