Well water still has brown sediment after five months

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by hknight, Mar 11, 2010.

1. hknight

hknight New Member

I had a 300 ft well dug five months ago. It produces 3 gallons of water per minute but out pump only pumps 2 gallons per minute. The pump is at the bottom of the well. Our water is still often brownish, and with red sediment collects in the toilets. I was told that the only way to clear the well was to use it, and a plumber recommended that we leave a garden hose running to drain the well. Five months later our water is still brown. I am worried that because the well produces water faster than the pump can send it, we are never able to clean the bottom portion of the well.

Any ideas on how we can clean out the well?
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

You should test the water for Ferrous iron. I think what you are seeing is rust for ferrous iron oxidizing creating Ferric iron (rust).