Well-trol pressure tank wx 202 operating pressure question

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by tlpayne, Nov 3, 2010.

1. tlpayne

tlpayne New Member

Pressure tank is pre-charged at 38, pump switch cut-in set at 40. Pumps comes on at 40(cut-in) shuts off at 60(cut-out), but pressure in tank ranges from 38 at cut-in and up to 46 at cut-out. shouldn't the pressure in the tank increase to more than just 46 when the pump switch is showing 60 at cut-out? It seems that I'm not getting the full benefit of the pressure tank.
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The air pressure in the tank should only be measured when the tank has no water in it.
    The way you are rationalizing it you would need to adjust the air pressure in your car's tires depending on the number of passengers.
  3. justwater

justwater Well Drilling/Service

my guess is the system gauge is off, and someone adjusted the pressure using it thinking it was ok. If u adjust your switch to cut on at 40 (at tank with good tire gauge) and off at 60 (at tank), then you will be good.

I usually make my switch adjustments using a tire gauge on the tank anyway (I never trust the face gauges).
  4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

You can measure the pressure in a tank at any time - it must be the same as the line pressure.

You have a bad gauge or tester or tank.

With no pressure in the system, is when you test the tank precharge. After that tank pressure must follow line pressure.

If you know your pump is off at 60, then your tank must also measure 60 at that moment.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010