Well Systems 101...Questions from a novice

Users who are viewing this thread

BOOMONKEY

Reaction score
OK. I have lived in my house since 2007. It was a new construction. Since then I have learned about pressure pumps, sanitizing, and maintaining my well. My next challenge is to somehow increase my water pressure. It would probably be fine for everyone else, and I get water where I need it without problems, but I like my water pressure to be high. My house is 2800 Square ft. 2 story, with 4 Bathrooms. Washer/Dryer/DW, etc. My pressure tank is a 40/60, and has the required 38 PSI in the bladder, with no blockage, I replaced the old one, then installed a new one and measured it twice.. I need more information on two subjects. 1.) If I decide to replace my well pump with one that delivers more GPM, and I have the water table to support it, will that increase water pressure? Also, in looking around for high GPM for a private well, it appears 26 or 28 GPM range may be appropriate. 2.) if I put in a tank to store water pumped from the well, would it assist in upping the pressure? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You maybe able to simply turn the pump you have up to 50/70 or even 60/80 if you like. But you have to determine if the problem is a lack of flow or a lack of pressure, and you need a little info on your pump and well.

First I would try to duplicate the low pressure circumstance. Like turn on the number of showers, sinks, etc, that happens when you are experiencing the low pressure problem. While you are running this amount of water, watch your pressure gauge for a while. If the pressure just stays low, like less than 50 or even less than 40, you have a volume problem. Then you would need a larger well pump, or could possibly add a booster pump.

If during the test the pressure continues to climb, even slowly until it reaches 60 and the pump shuts off, then you have a pressure problem, and the pump is already large enough. You would then just need to turn the pressure switch up until you get to the limit the particular pump can do, or until you get the pressure you want.

If the pump is large enough you can turn up the pressure to 60/80. The pump will probably build to 80 and still shut off while you are using water. Then the pressure will quickly drop all the way down to 60 before the tank is empty and the pump restarts.

Many times you don’t need to increase the pressure switch settings to get stronger pressure in the house. That is because many times it is cycling and the repetitive drop from 60 down to 40 that makes the pressure seem low. In these cases holding the pressure at a constant 50, instead of cycling on/off as when using a Cycle Stop Valve, can make the pressure seem much stronger, without actually increasing the pressure setting.

Either way you have your very own water system and should never settle for low pressure. Your water pressure can easily be so strong that your city dwelling friends will be envious. A lot of people don’t take the time to do the research, but with a little knowledge on the subject it may only take a few tweaks to get the pressure you want.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK. I have lived in my house since 2007. It was a new construction. Since then I have learned about pressure pumps, sanitizing, and maintaining my well. My next challenge is to somehow increase my water pressure. It would probably be fine for everyone else, and I get water where I need it without problems, but I like my water pressure to be high. My house is 2800 Square ft. 2 story, with 4 Bathrooms. Washer/Dryer/DW, etc. My pressure tank is a 40/60, and has the required 38 PSI in the bladder, with no blockage, I replaced the old one, then installed a new one and measured it twice.. I need more information on two subjects. 1.) If I decide to replace my well pump with one that delivers more GPM, and I have the water table to support it, will that increase water pressure? Also, in looking around for high GPM for a private well, it appears 26 or 28 GPM range may be appropriate. 2.) if I put in a tank to store water pumped from the well, would it assist in upping the pressure? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The pressure switch sets the pressure. Changing the pump will most likely do nothing to increase the pressure. You need to understand the difference between volume and pressure. You can get a whole lot of pressure through a very small orifice but generally it's not pressure that you are looking for. In the 40/60 range is plenty enough pressure. Much more pressure than that is actually painful in a shower. What you more likely want is better volume and that is a function of the distribution pipes in your house. I'd bet that your pump is capable of putting out all the volume and pressure anyone would want but the piping itself is undersized.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...it appears 26 or 28 GPM range may be appropriate.

Curious how you came to that conclusion. Have you determined that the house plumbing can actually move that much without a significant loss in pressure?

When you draw down the tank, it will be at the GPM the house plumbing supports regardless of the GPM of the pump. During the drawdown, do you get 26 - 28 GPM with adequate pressure? If not, then a high GPM pump will not do anything for you.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Curious how you came to that conclusion. Have you determined that the house plumbing can actually move that much without a significant loss in pressure?

When you draw down the tank, it will be at the GPM the house plumbing supports regardless of the GPM of the pump. During the drawdown, do you get 26 - 28 GPM with adequate pressure? If not, then a high GPM pump will not do anything for you.

The need for that much in a household blows my mind.

People are spoiled now a days.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks