Well slowly loses pressure, no water being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

rsitek

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My well is the original well when my house was built in 1969 and it's a deep well jet system at 90 feet. Meyers pump and 3 year old bladder tank. I have been noticing that the pump will kick on at random times when water is not being used. I did a test yesterday and closed the valve to the line going to the house and confirmed that the well itself is leaking. It leaks about 3-4 psi per hour until it hits the low pressure mark and kicks back on. Since it's such a small leak, should I be concerned about this and have a well guy look at it? The area around the well (its in a pit, I can open a door and see the top of the well) is dry. Could it be a leaky foot valve? My neighbor says a previous owner had a new pump installed and had the entire well serviced in the mid 90's.

Thanks!

Rob

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It could be the footvalve or the pipe. Probably won't get any better and likely to get worse, perhaps in the middle of Winter when you have a house full of guests.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
90% of the time the spring has gone bad in the footvalve. The parts are cheap but the labor and frustration can be expensive. It's 20 years old, I'd really consider converting it to a submersible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks