Well pump won't prime?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rod M1

Reaction score
The well is 30ft down with 20ft of water in it 1-1/4 pipe new point Goulds J7S jet pump. The pump whose tested last summer on another well and worked fine. The system will hold presser from the check valve threw the plumbing system don't think its a leak there. From the well point to the check valve there is a slit presser vacuum when removing pipe fitting on the well.

My question is what kind of vacuum should I be getting to draw the water up to the surface. If I put my hand over the pipe fitting while priming on the well I get some suction but its slight not like a shop vac more like something on a car.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The well is 30ft down with 20ft of water in it...
By my math, the water is 10 feet below the surface and a pump should have no trouble lifting 10 feet. Sand-point wells with a top-side check valve can be difficult to prime since the column of air has to move through the pump without losing prime.

Do note that jet pumps need water and pressure to pump so part of priming involves hold back as much of the water as possible while letting out the air.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Here is the priming instructions. You may already be following this procedure but as LLigetfa suggest, have to get the air out. Internally the jet can be clogged with a little rust or debris.

Rod M1

Reaction score
The flustering thing is the pump should have no problem and I don't seem to have any leaks but something isn't right. Maybe it's air locked I will look at the priming.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Where is the check valve in relation to the pump? Best to place it as far away as possible from the pump.

What is on the discharge side of the pump that can help trap water yet let air bleed off?

Reach4

Reaction score
A shop vac normally cannot lift water 10 ft.

Rod M1

Reaction score
Didn't have the pump but it will be sitting on the block but should give you a general idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks