Well pump not shutting off or getting up to cut off pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

abeljda

Reaction score
Hello, I have a shallow well pump its a model 5srp3c 1/2 hp jacuzzi. I replaced the same model 5 years ago so its a fairly new pump. I replaced the draw line from the pump/housing to the systren/well 3 years ago as i had a cracked line. replaced the foot valve, all piping everything. has worked Ok since but the other day I was walking by the housing and the pump was running and no one else was home and I knew there was no water running which is always bad. I spent the day trying to get it to work. I replaced the pressure switch, I took off the little line from the pressure switch to the pump and blew it clean it was fine, took out the venturi inspected and it seemed fine, the pressure tank was fine holding air with the right psi, so i figure it had to be something wrong with the foot valve so I went thru going down in the well to get it and replaced it. it still seems to not want to shut off at the 30/50 setting on the cut out side, I have been able to reduce the pressure a bit to get it to shut off but did not really want to do that but it worked fine for a few weeks. Then a couple weeks later, same thing walking by the pump house I heard the pump running when it shouldnt. I went down in there set the pressure down a bit more and again its working. Wondering if anyone has any ideas outside of what I have done, it is going to burn that pump up enventually I believe.

abeljda

Reaction score
OK that is something I can replace on a shallow well pump then I take it? is that the venturi? I took it out it looked OK.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I took off the little line from the pressure switch to the pump and blew it clean it was fine, took out the venturi inspected and it seemed fine, the pressure tank was fine holding air with the right psi, so i figure it had to be something wrong with the foot valve so I went thru going down in the well to get it and replaced it.

Normally a bad foot valve will make the pump lose prime, but not keep it from making pressure, unless the screen is plugged up.

The jet would work better in the well. You may be at the edge of what the pump can lift.

Does your well have plenty of water ?

Good Luck.

abeljda

Reaction score
Hi Don thanks for the reply. Have lived here over 25 years and been dealing with this since we moved in. The pump seems to be able to pull/draw water fine so I think the distance is OK, the "well" is a shallow one, about 25 foot deep and yes it has plenty of water, about 5 feet from the top so its not that. It has worked fine up until a couple weeks ago then I went through a couple days of trying to figure it out as I noted above. Someone else said something about a jet nozzle assembly being worn not sure if maybe I can look there.

abeljda

Reaction score
OK I did pull the venturi out I believe and it appeard ok. Still not sure if the ventrui is what I need to check, I did that and it all looked clear and I could not see anything in there I could pull out or clean. I flushed it good with water and it worked for awhile and again started acting up. Is the venturi and the jet nozzell the same thing? I pulled out my old pump and removed the same plug that the venturi on the newer one has it seems a bit different, where I have the arrow pointing in the pictures here is what I got when I removed that newer one. It does not have the end piece on it that i circled, it just went to that tappered end. I also put a put a pic of the old pump, the new one is just like it but as I noted it appears that ventrui part is a bit different. Really appreaciate any ideas.

Attachments

• OldPump2.jpg
    OldPump2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 325
  • oldpump3.jpg
    oldpump3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 321

DonL

Reaction score
OK I did pull the venturi out I believe and it appeard ok. Still not sure if the ventrui is what I need to check, I did that and it all looked clear and I could not see anything in there I could pull out or clean. I flushed it good with water and it worked for awhile and again started acting up. Is the venturi and the jet nozzell the same thing? I pulled out my old pump and removed the same plug that the venturi on the newer one has it seems a bit different, where I have the arrow pointing in the pictures here is what I got when I removed that newer one. It does not have the end piece on it that i circled, it just went to that tappered end. I also put a put a pic of the old pump, the new one is just like it but as I noted it appears that ventrui part is a bit different. Really appreaciate any ideas.

It looks like you are missing a O ring, or two. ?

Item #11a on page 8 may fix it. O-ring kit. It should have 3.

http://franklinwater.com/media/126204/106242101-convertibe-jet-rev1-0208.pdf

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're pumping any sediment, it will erode the jet and the pump performance will drop off

abeljda

Reaction score
So after much time and a "little" frustration here is what happened. I wanted to follow up in case someone runs into the same thing. The issue was that the injector had separated. it is a two piece unit see the picture below you can see the new one with both pieces and the bottom one rusted about half the length. When this all started I did not know that when I removed that jet to check it the first time it had separated, I thought it was OK... so this was the root of all my problems. Getting that separated piece out turned into a time warp. I never was able to get it to come out. soaked it good with CLR, tried the wire hook approach, got ahold of it with 2 sets of plyers to try and move it, it would not budge. I restorted to trying to tape an extractor in and back it out, that worked in getting it to spin a bit, but i could not get it out. Drilled it ran an awl thru it and pulled on the awl, it broke the plastic off. I completly disassembled the pump to get into the case, it is sealed to where you can't get to the rear of the injector, I was screwed. I had to buy a new case to replace the stuck injector. What I did do was put some plumbers grease on those O rings which I think are what stuck in the case. Live and Learn I guess.

I do apprecaite the messages from folks here which is why I wanted to lay out what happened in hopes someone down the line will benefit.

Attachments

• Stuck1.jpg
    Stuck1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
So after much time and a "little" frustration here is what happened. I wanted to follow up in case someone runs into the same thing. The issue was that the injector had separated. it is a two piece unit see the picture below you can see the new one with both pieces and the bottom one rusted about half the length. When this all started I did not know that when I removed that jet to check it the first time it had separated, I thought it was OK... so this was the root of all my problems. Getting that separated piece out turned into a time warp. I never was able to get it to come out. soaked it good with CLR, tried the wire hook approach, got ahold of it with 2 sets of plyers to try and move it, it would not budge. I restorted to trying to tape an extractor in and back it out, that worked in getting it to spin a bit, but i could not get it out. Drilled it ran an awl thru it and pulled on the awl, it broke the plastic off. I completly disassembled the pump to get into the case, it is sealed to where you can't get to the rear of the injector, I was screwed. I had to buy a new case to replace the stuck injector. What I did do was put some plumbers grease on those O rings which I think are what stuck in the case. Live and Learn I guess.

I do apprecaite the messages from folks here which is why I wanted to lay out what happened in hopes someone down the line will benefit.

That is great that you have it working now.

Enjoy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks