Well Pump Control Box

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by SRSPRINT, Apr 12, 2010.

1. SRSPRINT

SRSPRINT New Member

I live on a lake that has a well pump submerged in the lake. This pump is used to irrigate my yard.

I turned the system on for the 1st time last weekend, the system ran for 5 minutes, then the system shuts down. I found the control box had to be reset. After hitting the reset button, the system would run for approximately another 3/5 minutes before again breaking the electrical current.

Does this mean I have a capacitor problem, or some sort of pump problem?

Thanks for your help.

Steve
  2. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

If you told your doctor that you were out of breath after going up the stairs 1 flight, it would be the same answer: You need some tests done. The difference here is that you can buy an ohmmeter for 6$ and do it yourself .... IF you have some electrical knowledge. It would be a stretch to buy that MRI for 600,000$ and set it up in the back yard and get the wife to operate it.

Its all about how much time and ambition you have to learn up to a job. I would check the intake for stoppage, and then call the pro if you are not trained with an ammeter or ohmmeter.

If its a submersible pump and the flow is restricted or not directed across the motor shell, it may overheat and shut off temporarily. You must have an old control box if it has a manual reset.