Weil McLain Ultra boilers

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by therinnaiguy, Jan 3, 2008.

1. therinnaiguy

therinnaiguy New Member

Has anyone else out there experienced troubles with their boiler? So far with over 50 of these boilers that I have installed, I have experienced the following:
    Lack of start-up after a power outage.
    Water jacket plugs leaking.
    Water dripping on blower motor shorting it out.
    Igniters dissolving away to nothing.
    Cast aluminum blocks cracking internally.
    Broken fittings caused by over tightening at the factory.

I am going to stay clear of these boilers until Weil McLain can come up with solutions that work and start reimbursing me my lost labor fixing their design flaws.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I had considered those boilers, but the aluminum heat exchanger worried me...looks like it may have been a good idea. The local installers I talked with didn't want to install them...old-time guys, said that design was just too new. I don't always follow that; I tend to be a new thing kind of guy, within reason.
  3. In search of Integrity

In search of Integrity New Member

Weil McLain Ultra boilers: Good or Garbage?

therinnaiguy,

On http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19178, you wrote regarding my Weil McLain Ultra boiler:
    "You can't blame the boiler, it's a good boiler and if installed correctly; could be saving you 10-20%."

Yet on this thread, you wrote
    "I am going to stay clear of these boilers until Weil McLain can come up with solutions that work and start reimbursing me my lost labor fixing their design flaws."

Please explain this contradiction.