Water won't turn off

Users who are viewing this thread

momocook

Reaction score
Last night when I tried to turn off the water in the shower, the cold water turned off, the hot water did not. The handle turned all the way JUST LIKE NORMAL, but when it was all the way turned and I couldn't turn it any more, there was still a lot of water - HOT water - coming out.

How do I fix that?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe the washer came apart. You'll need to turn off the water, remove the stem and check it out. If all it is is a washer, and you have the right one, replacing it is usually easy. If the seat is worn out, then it becomes more involved.

If you can post a picture of the valve, more specific info can be given.

momocook

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying I'm a 53-year-old woman who only knows how to turn the water on and off in the shower. I had to wait till this morning to figure out how to turn the water off into the house. Where is the valve?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The valve is connected to the handle you turn. That handle is connected to the valve stem. At the end of the stem is (typically) a rubber (probably synthetic) washer - a round dognut with a screw holding it to the stem. The stem is threaded so it pushes that rubber washer onto a seat. If the seat is bad or the washer is bad, water will leak. There are other types of valves, but from what you described, it is probably one of those. My guess is that the washer finally gave up the ghost and needs to be replaced. On an old valve, the part it presses onto may have become all rough. This can make the washer degrade quickly, and can prevent it from making a seal. Some of them can be removed and replaced, some can't. Even if it normally could be replaced, if it is that old, it may not come out without a fight. If you are lucky, all it will take is a new washer.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Valve Stem

If you're going to mess with that valve stem, you'll need the correct tools and know how to use them: Plumber's sockets, large channel locks, screw drivers, and possibly handle puller and seat wrench.

momocook

Reaction score
Thanks. Thank God I have a son who is willing to come look at it. I'll tell him what you said.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks