Water Softener Installation?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by prickett, Dec 5, 2011.

  1. prickett

    prickett New Member

    Recently I bought a GE water softener from Home Depot to replace an old/failed water softener. I read the installation manual ahead of time so I could buy the appropriate parts to hook it up. When I told the workers at HD what I needed they said they didn't sell those parts. I thought it odd they sold a WS that there was no way to hook up.

    The WS has a 1" plastic hook up (male) for both incoming and outgoing water. I needed to tie that into my 3/4" copper pipes. After three workers struggled for about 20 minutes to find a solution, I finally ended up with:

    * 1" female to 3/4" female galv
    * 3/4" male to 3/4" male galv
    * 3/4" female to 3/4" Sharkbite

    I'm a noob, but I don't think you want to be hooking galv to copper - contrary to what the employee said (he said I'd be ok, so long as it was cold water - I don't believe this to be true).

    I'd like to order plastic parts that mimic the setup above, and, if possible hook to a copper fitting of some sort.

    Can someone tell me what parts I need (I searched a site selling PVC parts, but am not sure of the nomenclature of what I need)? And, if you know of a site selling said parts, that would be great too.

  2. Akpsdvan

    Akpsdvan In the Trades

    Galv to copper can be done, if that is all there is and one needs to get the job done.

    Check your messages.

    Depending on the bypass that came with the unit, or if it did not and old one will work you might be able use it.
  3. Scott_J

    Scott_J New Member

    Croom, MD
    Hi Todd,

    I had the exact same problem, spent a half hour in the adapters section before I realized the old bypass valve could be used directly. I also found a 3/4" sharkbite to 1" Female NIPT on the nets but didn't want to wait for delivery.
  4. mialynette2003

    mialynette2003 Member

    Ocala, Florida
    I do not recommend hooking up galvinzed pipe to copper. Shark bite should come in 3/4 x 1 FIP or 3/4 x 3/4 FIP. For the bypass side, if you run PVC, 1" buy a 1" female adaptor. If you run it in 3/4 PVC, buy a 1" FIP x 3/4 slip adaptor. Now you have both sides in PVC. Simply buy the fitting you need to hook to PVC.
  5. Tom Sawyer

    Tom Sawyer In the Trades

    1" female x 3/4" swett adapter. Copper to Galvy is fine.
  6. mialynette2003

    mialynette2003 Member

    Ocala, Florida
    Tom, I'm not a plumber but have been told in classes to never hook copper to galvinized because of galvanic reaction. You know something I don't know? If it's ok, why do you think an instructor told me worng? I have always used dia-electric if I have to hook up to galv.
  7. Gary Slusser

    Gary Slusser That's all folks!

    Personally I would outlaw galvanized for water line plumbing.
Similar Threads: Water Softener
Forum Title Date
Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r Where to install the water softener Sunday at 10:19 AM
Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r Water softener sizing and recommendation Dec 2, 2014
Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r Another water softener sizing thread (1.5 or 2.0) Nov 29, 2014
Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r Kenmore Water Softener white 1" Disk Nov 27, 2014
Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r Could I get some help identifying my water softener? Nov 24, 2014

Share This Page