Water Softener head units

Users who are viewing this thread

Viewer

Reaction score
Do all different manufacturer head units use the same thread to screw them to a tank unit?

In other words, if I wanted to ditch my Autotrol 155 unit off my tank, can I simply by a Fleck, Clack, Pentair, whatever complete unit, and whack it in place of the other?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not all manufacturers have the same tank thread. But the ones you mentioned do. So you can replace the Autotrol for a Fleck or Clack.

Viewer

Reaction score
Thank you, I appreciate the quick reply.

I guess all I need to figure out now is whether the units have their water inlet / outlet hoses coming out at the same spots, and sizes, so I don't have to fit extra adaptors/poly pipe etc to the existing plumbing. I was just hoping to do a simple transplant.

Australia is a difficult area to get units, not easy like in USA and Canada, and prices here are very high. Not only that, parts/kits are like hens teeth as well.

Unfortunately, most of the sites in USA and Canada don't do direct freight to Australia either.

I did find this, which would have been good, but can't get it to here..mind you, it was still not complete, in that it comes without a bypass valve.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161104517347?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Wish we could buy these things and kits here...grrrr

Thanks for the reply!

Reach4

Reaction score
I think there can also be a difference in dip tube diameters and heights with respect to the top of the tank. For dip tube diameters, there are adapters.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You should replace the valve and Distributor at the same time. The Clack and Fleck valves have inlets and outlets that are reversed from the Autotrol.

Viewer

Reaction score
Thanks all.

Yes, it is my intention to swap the whole thing over to a complete new top to the tank.

You can see some pretty horrible pictures of the unit in this thread..

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/australian-seeking-your-assistances.53683/

..it is indeed a shocker isn't it?

Because I am not too much into DYI, I was thinking a transplant was the best method, rather than trying to overhall it, thus the question on "swapability" in this case.

There is one Aussie distributor whom has given me a price of this to replace the 155 unit

Autotrol 255/762 Softener Valve - MP Control $ 537.90 Inc Tax + $ 85.00 freight...this amounts to about US$590.00
Includes the following: Valve, Transformer, Bypass Valve, Riser & Distributor, 3/4" SS Adaptors

I also got a price from a US store, and was advised ....
The NEW 255 Valve with metered Logix timer ( 760 ) is $ 329.00 PLUS $ 30.00 for 230 volt 50 Hz VERSION ( different control Board and Transformer used ).
Plus the New By Pass ( 256 ) listed above for $ 36.95 ( can be ordered / selected with the New Valve )....so that is about US$396 + delivery, US$117 freight....total US$513.00

So I was a bit wrong, there is not a lot on prices, and the item is warranted over here, and available quicker...seems to make more sense getting from here doesn't it?

Help me what to do please, and stop me being indecisive!!

Thanks...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks