Water Pump won't stop cycling unless water to UV turned off

Users who are viewing this thread

dave reynolds

Reaction score
My water pump at camp needed to be rebuilt so I had it done and, after some initial pain, learned how to prime it and get pressure to build. However, it would not build up to the 55 PSI necessary to get the pump to stop cycling. However, located just after the pressure tanks is a shutoff valve. This line leads to the UV water purification system. If I shut this valve, pressure builds to 55 PSI and the pump stops cycling. In the camp though, with this valve turned off, we have only hot water and no cold whatsoever. If I turn the shutoff valve on, then we have hot water and only very slow running cold, and the pump will not shut off (even with no water being demanded in the camp for toilets, taps, etc). Any advice, besides a bullet?

Reach4

Reaction score
It sounds as if there is water being used on the cold part, and only the cold part goes through the UV unit. Search for water use such as an open tap.

Go to a 30-50 PSI pressure switch? That is the way I would go if it works for you. You may be able to adjust your existing pressure switch. If you have 2 adjustment screws, that would be the big one typically.

New pump?

dave reynolds

Reaction score
It sounds as if there is water being used on the cold part, and only the cold part goes through the UV unit. Search for water use such as an open tap.

Go to a 30-50 PSI pressure switch? That is the way I would go if it works for you. You may be able to adjust your existing pressure switch. If you have 2 adjustment screws, that would be the big one typically.

New pump?

dave reynolds

Reaction score

New pump?

Not a new pump, just new insides! I had the old one rebuilt by a pro. I'm pretty sure the pressure switch can be adjusted. Only thing I can't understand is the lack of cold water pressure. There is absolutely nothing on in the camp and the pressure is very low, like 20% of normal. Thanks for your info....I really appreciate the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
The only way the symptoms make sense is if there is cold water flowing. Otherwise closing the valve to the UV, which then feeds the cold, would not have had that effect.

dave reynolds

Reaction score
OK, makes sense Reach4. So if everything in the camp is off, water fills up in the toilets and shuts off, no taps on anywhere, the only thing I can think that I can't see is maybe the line to the ice maker, which, coincidentally. is located under the cold area of the camp and stopped making ice earlier. I will crawl under the camp and try to see something. Brrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks