Water pump stopped. Short cycles then stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Arden

Reaction score
My water pump stopped last night. After being shut off overnight, I flipped on the power, and it short cycled, running 4-5 seconds a run, before stopping. We replaced the pressure switch and cleaned the debris in the tube, and checked the tank pressure. Same issue. The switch is calling for pressure. Ideas? Many thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you getting water during those 4 to 5 seconds? What does the pressure do?

Is the pump above ground, or is it a submersible down the well.

It sounds like you need a new pump. What do you know about the pump?
If you could measure the amps draw during that 4-5 seconds, that could tell you something, particularly if you had info on the pump. A clamp around ammeter is the usual tool to measure that current. But after you do that, there is a good chance it will say you need a new pump. I am not a pro.

It would have been nice if you had been putting $25 per month away for eventual pump replacement, but I know that few people do that. Borrowing money for a new pump is a lot more responsible than borrowing money for a new car.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Are we to guess whether the pump is running or not? Is it a submersible? It it a three wire which uses an external control box with a start capacitor? Have you measured the voltage or current draw at the well head?

Last edited:

Arden

Reaction score
Yes, submersible pump. A Franklin 2801054915 controller box if that helps. We did ohmmeter tests on the box capacitor and relays and it looks OK. I am going to swap another one in tomorrow just to be sure.
If the pump has been off a while and I turn it all back on, it runs about 6 times intermittently for about 4 to 7 seconds per time, then stops. The pressure gauge is not spiking and it shuts off before the pressure switch stops it. The pump simply stops running.

I have not done those additional tests yet. Thank you for your response.

Arden

Reaction score
Are you getting water during those 4 to 5 seconds? What does the pressure do?

Is the pump above ground, or is it a submersible down the well.

It sounds like you need a new pump. What do you know about the pump?
If you could measure the amps draw during that 4-5 seconds, that could tell you something, particularly if you had info on the pump. A clamp around ammeter is the usual tool to measure that current. But after you do that, there is a good chance it will say you need a new pump. I am not a pro.

It would have been nice if you had been putting $25 per month away for eventual pump replacement, but I know that few people do that. Borrowing money for a new pump is a lot more responsible than borrowing money for a new car.

Arden

Reaction score
One other thing I just noticed. If I flip the power on and off, no change. But if I shut the power off, remove the control box cover, re-seat the cover, and then flip the power back on, it usually runs at least one cycle. I dont know if that might mean the control box is the issue, or just some type of reset that lets it work for a few seconds.

Last edited:

Arden

Reaction score
Are we to guess whether the pump is running or not? Is it a submersible? It it a three wire which uses an external control box with a start capacitor? Have you measured the voltage or current draw at the well head?

One other thing I just noticed. If I flip the power on and off, no change. But if I shut the power off, remove the control box cover, re-seat the cover, and then flip the power back on, it usually runs at least one cycle. I dont know if that might mean the control box is the issue, or just some type of reset that lets it work for a few seconds.

More observations; If I do shut the power off for an extended time and turn it back on, it will go through a number of brief cycles pumping 4-7 seconds and 7-10 second pauses.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
More observations; If I do shut the power off for an extended time and turn it back on, it will go through a number of brief cycles pumping 4-7 seconds and 7-10 second pauses.

Are you sure that is not the pressure switch starting a stopping the pump? If it is tripping an internal overload it usually takes longer than 7-10 seconds to reset itself.

Arden

Reaction score
Are you sure that is not the pressure switch starting a stopping the pump? If it is tripping an internal overload it usually takes longer than 7-10 seconds to reset itself.
I think so - I tested the switch input/output and both had power, indicating the switch was calling for the pump, but the pump was not running.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks