Water Pressure goes down to nothing before pump kicks on

Users who are viewing this thread

NotMrWizard

Reaction score
Hi all. Let me start by saying I know very little about pressure tanks!

I've got a Welltrol pressure tank, with a Pumptrol switch. Lately, the water pressure goes down to almost nothing (very slow out of the shower head or faucet), then the pump kicks on and builds the pressure back up for a while. The water flow actually stops for a second while the pump kicks on. This will happen once while showering (maybe twice if you catch it just right).

I've read online at different sites where you are told to check your pressure settings, you want the 20/40 setting, but I do not have a pressure gage anywhere on my line. Is this a matter of purchasing one, and screwing it onto the valve on the top of the tank? The only way I see to adjust the settings are the long and short screw on the switch.

Any tips on what I need to do or look for is greatly appreciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The switch could be okay. It needs to be able to sense the pressure. Sometimes, the pipe that feeds the water to the switch so it can sense the pressure gets clogged with rust. That can give a delayed response to the pressure loss. It could also be a bad switch or pump. It is unusual that there is no pressure gauge in the system. If you have a "T" fitting, or install one, yes, you can just screw one in place using either pipe dope or teflon tape to seal the threads. 20/40 is used, but won't give a very pleasurable shower. 30/50 or 40/60 are also used. Depending on the pump you have, you may or may not be able to change the pressure switch. One of the pros will have an idea where to start, but this gives you some background info.

NotMrWizard

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, and especially the link. Sounds like the first thing I need to do is to install a pressure gage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks