Water not reaching salt in brine tank; no soft water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Cuznbass

Reaction score
I have an Autotrol that runs through the regeneration process fine but it does not fill the tank up high enough to reach the salt at the end of the regeneration. Obviously, no brine is being drawn back into the softener. Everything works fine when I manually add water to the brine tank. What is stopping the refill short of reaching the salt?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have an Autotrol that runs through the regeneration process fine but it does not fill the tank up high enough to reach the salt at the end of the regeneration.

How much does he controller fill the salt tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
It seems likely that no water is being added during refill. Have you seen the water level go up at all during refill?

You need to identify which Autotrol you have, such as 1550-TC. see http://www.softenerparts.com/category_s/2000.htm for manuals. If you cannot identify your unit, post pictures.

There will be a brine refill control. The parts could need cleaning.

Cuznbass

Reaction score
The pick up tube may be too close to the bottom of the brine tank. If you shorten it about 4", it will work fine.

I don't know where to begin with this reply but I'll try. I turned the refill control up and turned the cam to refill and more water did flow into the brine tank. I then did a manual regeneration and all of the water was drawn out. It still did not refill to the proper level at the end of the 2 hour cycle. The water is softened but is now a smoky-white color. It started out almost grey but after running water at all of the faucets and toilet it's getting a tad more clear. When I fill up a glass of water the water looks like it has smoke rolling around in it. I've heard about this possibly being air bubbles, but a glass of water doesn't ever clear up after leaving it set for a while. This has been happening for a while and I was afraid that my well was going dry. But, the longer the softener goes without working properly, the more clear the water gets but is extremely hard. This all started after cleaning the brine tank thinking I was doing myself some good. After cleaning the tank I added water and the discolored water began. Like I said, if the softener isn't working, the water is clear. Every time I add water to the tank to make brine, the water turns grey. So many variables to contend with to help make any sense out of this.

Cuznbass

Reaction score
The pick up tube may be too close to the bottom of the brine tank. If you shorten it about 4", it will work fine.

I don't know where to begin with this reply but I'll try. I turned the refill control up and turned the cam to refill and more water did flow into the brine tank. I then did a manual regeneration and all of the water was drawn out. It still did not refill to the proper level at the end of the 2 hour cycle. The water is softened but is now a smoky-white color. It started out almost grey but after running water at all of the faucets and toilet it's getting a tad more clear. When I fill up a glass of water the water looks like it has smoke rolling around in it. I've heard about this possibly being air bubbles, but a glass of water doesn't ever clear up after leaving it set for a while. This has been happening for a while and I was afraid that my well was going dry. But, the longer the softener goes without working properly, the more clear the water gets but is extremely hard. This all started after cleaning the brine tank thinking I was doing myself some good. After cleaning the tank I added water and the discolored water began. Like I said, if the softener isn't working, the water is clear. Every time I add water to the tank to make brine, the water turns grey. So many variables to contend with to help make any sense out of this.

Cuznbass

Reaction score
It seems likely that no water is being added during refill. Have you seen the water level go up at all during refill?

You need to identify which Autotrol you have, such as 1550-TC. see http://www.softenerparts.com/category_s/2000.htm for manuals. If you cannot identify your unit, post pictures.

There will be a brine refill control. The parts could need cleaning.

I have no idea why this posted three different times. Sorry guys.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to check it see if the pickup tube is on the bottom of the brine tank. If it is and you have a salt grid (platform that keeps the salt off the bottom), the pickup tube has to be raised.

Cuznbass

Reaction score
You need to check it see if the pickup tube is on the bottom of the brine tank. If it is and you have a salt grid (platform that keeps the salt off the bottom), the pickup tube has to be raised.

The pickup tube is on the bottom and I do have a salt platform. Is there a certain height the pickup tube should be?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is this a new problem that recently started occurring with an existing softener or is the softener a new installation?

It would likely be helpful to know the size of the softener (grains?) as well as the current program settings (esp fill time or the salt setting), the BLFC (brine line flow control) rating in gals/min (usually 0.5) and the dimensions of your brine tank.

Last edited:

Cuznbass

Reaction score
Is this a new problem that recently started occurring with an existing softener or is the softener a new installation?

It would likely be helpful to know the size of the softener (grains?) as well as the current program settings (esp fill time or the salt setting), the BLFC (brine line flow control) rating in gals/min (usually 0.5) and the dimensions of your brine tank.

This is a new problem with an existing softener.

I wish I could be more helpful on describing the size of the softener and all other settings but I'm not very fluent in the language of softeners. The best I can describe is the tank is approximately 42 inches high and 10 inches wide.

I should add that the control head and timer were purchased used, but rebuilt and I tried to transfer the settings from the old to the new, including the salt dial setting. The only thing different on the new one is the timer. It appears to be a little newer. I believe (but not 100% sure) that I have the 155/460MP.

The only other thing that I can add is that the tech that tested my water gave a number of 51. I don't know what that is but he said that was extremely high. As it stands now, I have the salt dial at 19 (trying to get more water to enter the brine tank) the hardness is on 60 and the capacity is at 35.

That's the best information that I can provide. Thank you all for your replies.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest cleaning in the controler. In the manual, note the cleaning that they recommend annually. I would not do that annually, but include those things. I would do more, and in your case I would particularly try to clean the brine refill control. Get silicone grease. Note in particular the section called preventive maintenance. I would go even further. I would pull the cam, clean the flappers, apply light silicone grease, and put them back reversed from their current positions.

I got a tube off MolyKote 111. It is thick. It lasts a long time. Wear nitrile gloves when applying silicone grease. Q-tips are useful for cleaning and applying grease.

I have an Autotrol 1550-TC which is like the 155.

Cuznbass

Reaction score
I suggest cleaning in the controler. In the manual, note the cleaning that they recommend annually. I would not do that annually, but include those things. I would do more, and in your case I would particularly try to clean the brine refill control. Get silicone grease. Note in particular the section called preventive maintenance. I would go even further. I would pull the cam, clean the flappers, apply light silicone grease, and put them back reversed from their current positions.

I got a tube off MolyKote 111. It is thick. It lasts a long time. Wear nitrile gloves when applying silicone grease. Q-tips are useful for cleaning and applying grease.

I have an Autotrol 1550-TC which is like the 155.

I agree that cleaning is a necessary step. But I'm curious if the settings are part of the insanely discolored water. Would this be considered "salt residue?"

Reach4

Reaction score
This all started after cleaning the brine tank thinking I was doing myself some good. After cleaning the tank I added water and the discolored water began. Like I said, if the softener isn't working, the water is clear. Every time I add water to the tank to make brine, the water turns grey. So many variables to contend with to help make any sense out of this.

That is really weird. When you say "the water turns grey", what water are you talking about? The water in brine tank?

I agree that cleaning is a necessary step. But I'm curious if the settings are part of the insanely discolored water. Would this be considered "salt residue?"

Salt would dissolve. I was wondering if somehow your backwash was not working, but I have no experience with what kind of symptom that would cause.

Cuznbass

Reaction score
That is really weird. When you say "the water turns grey", what water are you talking about? The water in brine tank?

Salt would dissolve. I was wondering if somehow your backwash was not working, but I have no experience with what kind of symptom that would cause.

No, the water coming out of the faucets after a regeneration is grey. There's very fine sediment in the sink after I empty it. When I fill a glass with the water it looks like smoke is rolling around in it. It's cool as hell to look at but obviously there's a problem. At this point I'm convinced that the water coming into the house is over-saturated with salt because the salt from the faucets looks like the water in the brine tank. I know everything else I've been told is true about cleaning the valve but I believe the settings are the main culprit at this point. I just put my old timer back on so that I can use the old settings that worked. It is regenerating right now. Hopefully when it's all over the water is clear and the brine tank fills up the proper level. I'll let you know in 2 hours.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks