Water leaking from back of dome nut (Delta single tub faucet)

Users who are viewing this thread

NavySuit

Reaction score
Water is leaking from the back of the dome nut. I replaced the ball assembly including the springs and two rubber o rings inside. I noticed that there is an o-ring behind the dome nut. Do you think this is the o ring that is causing the issues? I also didn't use any plumbers grease.

The only other thing I can think of is the plastic ring that screws into the top of the dome nut. I didn't have the Delta tool, so I hand tightened it and tried using a screw driver at an angle to screw it in tighter.

What do you think is causing the leak? It only leaks when the faucet is on.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NO "O" ring behind the dome nut. The seal is the black rubber piece, (you should have changed it when you repaired the faucet), under the slotted white piece of plastic. The "adjuster ring' seldom needs to be adjusted after its initial installation, unless someone does something to change it, such as putting an "O" ring under the dome nut.

delta_600_01.jpg

delta-conversion-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike1212

Reaction score
Water is leaking from the back of the dome nut. I replaced the ball assembly including the springs and two rubber o rings inside. I noticed that there is an o-ring behind the dome nut. Do you think this is the o ring that is causing the issues? I also didn't use any plumbers grease.

The only other thing I can think of is the plastic ring that screws into the top of the dome nut. I didn't have the Delta tool, so I hand tightened it and tried using a screw driver at an angle to screw it in tighter.

What do you think is causing the leak? It only leaks when the faucet is on.

Hey man, I know this is an old post but for all the future people, its because the dome nut is made up of two threaded tightening systems. One is when you screw it onto the copper, but prior to that you need to adjust the polyethylene white piece at the top of the dome but so that when you finally do turn it on to the copper, it has enough compression to seal. Basically, your white polyethylene piece on the top of the dome nut was too loose.

Mike1212

Reaction score
Hey man, I know this is an old post but for all the future people, its because the dome nut is made up of two threaded tightening systems. One is when you screw it onto the copper, but prior to that you need to adjust the polyethylene white piece at the top of the dome but so that when you finally do turn it on to the copper, it has enough compression to seal. Basically, your white polyethylene piece on the top of the dome nut was too loose.

Attachments

• E8776322-3BD2-4217-805B-E1EE781F096A.jpeg
    E8776322-3BD2-4217-805B-E1EE781F096A.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 221
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks