Water leak around shower base

Users who are viewing this thread

jhp1981

Reaction score
I notice water leaking behind the tiled wall of my 1 year old shower. I cut out drywall near the floor and noticed it too few minutes for water to appear when shower is running. The shower head connection is fine. I also poured a bucket of water through the drain pipe using a funnel with no leaks. Is it leaking between the drain pipe and strainer body? There is a gap there. Water could also be leaking at the other sides too.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is your shower pan a preformed one? How is the drain sealed to the pan? WHat is the construction method used on the walls? CBU is not waterproof, but it is not damaged by water. Installation technique is important which includes covering all seams with alkali resistant tape and thinset to bond the panels together. The shower should be water tight before the tile is installed, so it's the guts that are more important than the pretty, wear surface of the tile. Hard to say without more info, and pictures might help, especially if you have some done during construction.

jhp1981

Reaction score
Is your shower pan a preformed one? How is the drain sealed to the pan? WHat is the construction method used on the walls? CBU is not waterproof, but it is not damaged by water. Installation technique is important which includes covering all seams with alkali resistant tape and thinset to bond the panels together. The shower should be water tight before the tile is installed, so it's the guts that are more important than the pretty, wear surface of the tile. Hard to say without more info, and pictures might help, especially if you have some done during construction.
This is a tiled shower with liner, concrete etc. I think I fixed the problem. I applied putty to the gap between the strainer body and drain pipe. There was a 0.5' gap there. but I am still not sure how water leaks after entering the gap. I took a shower today and there has been no signs of leak. I am assuming the strainer body was not sealed during install.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks