water in gas pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by shaggy, Feb 5, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy New Member

I have water in the gas pipes that lead to my pool heater. When I open the end, you can hear it bubbling. The heater won't work, I don't think it is getting enough pressure. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Any ideas or solutions?
  2. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Break the line apart where you got a union and blow it out with a compressor. The real question is how did you get water in a gas line? That needs to be solved ASAP.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

How do you know it is water?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

water

Almost always when water is in a gas line, the pipe is rusted and has holes in it. Ground water around the pipe will almost always have more pressure than the 1/4 psi of the gas, so it can overcome it and enter the pipe. As you said, the gas does not have enough pressure to force its way through the water, or at least not enough volume, so you unit cannot work.
  5. shaggy

shaggy New Member

The gas lines were put in about three years ago. We think that the water has gotten in from our old fire pit, which is elevated higher that the pool equipment. I used a wet vac and sucked out most of the water and I will install a drip leg. But now my pool gas valve is shot....just one thing after another.
  6. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Get the line blown out and re-test it with air and a good pressure gauge...
    If you cannot do it, hire a pro.
    Gas is something that you don't want to mess with if you are not comfortable...
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

water

It makes no difference how high, or low, the pool equipment is compared to the fire pit. If the line does not have holes in it the water could not enter the pipe, unless the valve was open and you poured the water into it. I assume you used the "approved" green coated pipe for the gas line. If so, that in my opinion, is the worst material you could possibly have used. I have seen installations that only lasted a few years and when it was pulled out of the ground it looked like swiss cheese.