Water Heater Repairs

Users who are viewing this thread

White Tiger

Reaction score
I have a tenant that did not pay his water bill and the service was shut off. I am sure he left the power on and continued to drain water out of the heater for flushing the toilet until it was empty. My question is how to test the elements and thermostats to see if they are working?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If indeed they did drain the WH and leave the power on, the element(s) are burned out.

With a multi meeter you can OHM them and they should read between 12-14

Just call a plumber and have the 2 elements replaced.

The cost of replacing 2 is not much more than 1 and you will be done with the problem. Or If you know how to do it replace them your self.

You can get regular replacement elements for $10.00 ea. or stainless for $15-20.00 ea. at the big box stores.

If the WH is 9-10 yrs old you may want to consider replacement.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

If that did happen, then the upper one will be the one that burned out. After the power and water are restored, see if you have any hot water. If not replace the upper element. You do not have to use a stainless steel/nichrome one because the upper one seldom operates during normal usage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks