Water heater HotOut leaking today

Users who are viewing this thread

SierraEchoOn

Reaction score
Grandmother heard the water pump on in middle of night.

I go to basement to find steam and hot water leaking from this pipe that appears to be the outgoing water.

I turned the water off to stop the leaking.

Question. 1 Will the water heater be okay with water turned off?
&
Question.2 Is that pipe / water heater salvageable?

Attachments

• wh.jpg
    wh.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 172

Reach4

Reaction score
Should turn the gas/electric off. It will be OK with gas/electric for a while, but not indefinite.

I presume the leaking was near the blue water heater tank, rather than up by the copper flex pipe. In that case, she needs a new water heater.

Most people recommend replacing those flex connectors and gas flex connector when changing the water heater.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a word of caution. Never, ever leave the power (gas or electricity) turned on when the tank is empty. When you install the new heater, test for leaks, but be certain the tank is completely filled before restoring the heat.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pipe nipple and flexible connector are replaceable, but I am not sure whether the tank was leaking since I cannot tell where the water was coming from.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks