Water heater connections to existing CPVC water lines

Users who are viewing this thread

mrxsme

Reaction score
Replacing a water heater with existing CPVC water lines plumbed directly into the water heater inlet and outlet using a CPVC to male MPT transition union.

My plan is to shorten the CPVC lines to move them away from the new tank and add Falcon 3/4 stainless steel flex connectors joined to the CPVC with a CPVC to male MPT transition union.

I can get flex connectors with 3/4 FIP connections on each end, or one with a 3/4 FIP on one end to join to the CPVC and a 3/4 MIP on the other end.

On the tank end can I run the 3/4 MIP end on the flex line directly into the inlet if it is not too recessed or should I add nipples to each of the inlet/outlet on the tank and connect to it with a 3/4 FIP.

Does it matter? If I can run a flex connector with a 3/4 MIP directly into the tank why add another connection?

Wish it wasn't CPVC but I can't re plumb it completely.

Thanks,

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some places require flex lines, some places prohibit them...so, you really need to know what your local code enforcement people want. Is this an electric or gas WH? If it is gas, they generally do not allow plastic within a certain distance because the heat from the exhaust can exceed the safe operating temp of the cpvc. If you put a threaded fitting on the cpvc, you really would only want to use a male one...a female plastic fitting is asking for problems down the road.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks