Water Hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Joyceb

Reaction score
I now how a water hammer in my house after irrigation was installed. We are on a well and this water hammer was not present before. The hammer is heard in the house each time the lawn valves go on. The company that put in the system doesn’t understand wells. I don’t know who to turn to since the water hammer is now happening in my house and not in the landscape area. What is the best way to go about a solution to fix this. What I really don’t know is what type of company who to call to fix this. The company must have experience of plumbing of Wells, Homes and irrigation system to handle this job. Any help would be appreciated. This is a drawing of the setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0850_1.pdf
    537.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Didnt see the attachement before but viewed it now. then I see you said you dont know where the tee is so the entire water could be going all the way through the house. If it tees off the main near well it would be better than running through the house coming off a hose bib line. I didnt want to keep turning to read all that perhaps tee off close to the well or just tee off anywhere between the well and front sprinkler valves , dont run front and rear sprinkers at the exact same time

Reach4

Reaction score
Most yard irrigation valves today are slow closing to prevent water hammer.

Is your symptom a single bang when a zone cuts off, or is it something else?

Joyceb

Reaction score
Didnt see the attachement before but viewed it now. then I see you said you dont know where the tee is so the entire water could be going all the way through the house. If it tees off the main near well it would be better than running through the house coming off a hose bib line. I didnt want to keep turning to read all that perhaps tee off close to the well or just tee off anywhere between the well and front sprinkler valves , dont run front and rear sprinkers at the exact same time
I am certainly at a disadvantage since at that point I didn’t see what they did for the waterline for the irrigation . I have asked the pool/landscape company and they claim they ran the irrigation to the well. I do know from them that they ran the pool equipment to the house and that so far has not caused this issue. They don’t seem to want to take care of this issue and I’m extremely disappointed in their service at this point since it has caused such an enormous problem for me. I never had this problem before they started the job. I personally don’t think they know what they are doing.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im not sure they did anything wrong . I cant make heads or tails out of drawing or the sideways notes etc. It really is BS that they cant or wont come out and go over it with you, tell you where the tee is where did they come from to do the job Mesquite ?
I dont think Id expect anything but a little cooperation , it could be caused by them by too many heads on a zone I dont know who designed system either

Joyceb

Reaction score
Im not sure they did anything wrong . I cant make heads or tails out of drawing or the sideways notes etc. It really is BS that they cant or wont come out and go over it with you, tell you where the tee is where did they come from to do the job Mesquite ?
I dont think Id expect anything but a little cooperation , it could be caused by them by too many heads on a zone I dont know who designed system either
They came from Las Vegas and Im in Pahrump. They designed the system. I have asked in the last month many times and I have received many answer like they are looking into this or its my problem not there's. I am not happy since when I feel and hear the water hammer it makes me jump. I only hear it in my bedroom. I really need to get this fixed, and I don't want it to continue, I just want to enjoy my house. I have included the pictures in the PDF file.

Attachments

• Lawn Valves.pdf
    292.5 KB · Views: 61

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sorry thats the problem with outta town contractors they dont want to come back. Especilay if they arent getting paid ., it could be your supply delivery from well isnt keeping up with demand there fore a pressure drop when valve closes a rush of water comes slamming in. arrestors, expansion tanks, help as does less heads and more zones but nothing says they screwed up That Ive seen? Does hammer happen when valve opens or closes or both ? Only way to fix it is throwing money at it labor plus parts or time (yours) to work through it the more you learn about it could help guide a plumber through it we dont like messing with guessiong at stuff and or really studying deep into problems with out getting paid and most of us feel a little guilty wasting a customers money unlike Drs who are expected to make the big bucks practicing on us.
Any way putting an arrestor there might be good maybe a little advice from irrigation supplier . might need something on house too? does well have a expansion tank?

Joyceb

Reaction score
sorry thats the problem with outta town contractors they dont want to come back. Especilay if they arent getting paid ., it could be your supply delivery from well isnt keeping up with demand there fore a pressure drop when valve closes a rush of water comes slamming in. arrestors, expansion tanks, help as does less heads and more zones but nothing says they screwed up That Ive seen? Does hammer happen when valve opens or closes or both ? Only way to fix it is throwing money at it labor plus parts or time (yours) to work through it the more you learn about it could help guide a plumber through it we dont like messing with guessiong at stuff and or really studying deep into problems with out getting paid and most of us feel a little guilty wasting a customers money unlike Drs who are expected to make the big bucks practicing on us.
Any way putting an arrestor there might be good maybe a little advice from irrigation supplier . might need something on house too? does well have a expansion tank?
I believe it happens when the valve opens. This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• Well House.pdf
    157 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks