Water hammer issue

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dj_poop, Oct 1, 2013.

1. dj_poop

dj_poop New Member

I have a water hammer issue that I cant seem to solve. I have installed the hammer arrestors in between the washer and the faucet. One thing I did notice was if I turned the cold water inlet off to the hot water tank the hammer seems to be gone. We only wash with cold water so this seems vary strange. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Did you put hammer arresters on both the hot and cold at the WM? Does it only happen when doing laundry?
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Are you sure it is water hammer and not just the heat traps clunking?
  4. dj_poop

dj_poop New Member

I only have the hammer arrestor installed on the cold line, and if I turn the kitchen faucet off quickly I can reproduce the sound.
    I am not sure how to tell the difference between water hammer and the heat traps clunking.
  5. LLigetfa

Heat traps clunking would be loudest at the HWT.
  6. dj_poop

dj_poop New Member

Ya the clunking is the loudest at the HWT and doesnt seem to come from anywhere else, is this a fixable issue?
  7. LLigetfa

The most prescribed remedy is to remove them.
  8. dj_poop

dj_poop New Member

How do I remove the heat traps? is it hard and better left to a plumber or can I handle it?