water going on and off

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph Gore

Reaction score
My water will shut off after a short time then start up again after a minute or so the press switch is new its a 3 wire system i put a back flow preventer at the tank hoping this would solve the problem but the water still goes on and off could this be a control box issue?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is your control box electronic; does it have a display?

What does your pressure gauge do during this process?

How large is your pressure tank?

Joseph Gore

Reaction score
Box is not electronic gauge goes down to zero when this happens but press reg is still calling when water comes back gauge goes back up i can hear a buzz up above where control box is

Reach4

Reaction score
Pressure tank?

How quickly does pressure gauge rise when the pump turns on? I am guessing very rapidly.

Sounds like the pressure tank is missing, clogged, or waterlogged.

Reach4

Reaction score
Turn off the pump, and open a faucet to make the pressure gauge go to zero.

With a tire air pressure gauge. Measure the air pressure on the Schrader valve on the end of the tank. It should read 2 PSI loser than the pressure that the well water pressure switch turns on at.

If water comes out or the pressure is zero, the tank is shot. You may be able temporarily work with that bad tank by filling the tank with air before turning on the pump. If the bladder/diaphragm has a small hole, it may take a while to get enough water out of the wrong side of the bladder/diaphragm. You will probably need to add air frequently until you get the tank replaced.

This may be the time to go to a larger pressure tank. Your tank should let the pump turn on for at least a minute each time it turns on at the low pressure setting until the high pressure setting is reached. 30 gallons is a bit smaller than average I think.
That tank when operating properly might have a 7 gallon draw down. So if your pump provides 7 GPM, then it is probably sized OK.

Do some reading on pressure tanks. Well-X-Trol is the leading name, but it is pricey.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the overload on the motor is tripping. A capable person can measure the current draw of the motor and compare it to the manufacturer's specifications.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks