water flows uphill?

Users who are viewing this thread

jleonardwv

Reaction score
Building my own home. Did the plumbing myself. Built the shower with liner and tested to make sure no leaks before putting deck mud in the liner.

No leaks, everything fine. Then...

As I drained the approx. 2" of water from the shower liner, I got a leak from an as-yet-unfinished bath tub drain. Very weird because the water would have to run against gravity to exit the tub drain line. Here's the setup:

--1.5" tub drain---------\
.................................|
.................................|------------2 inch shower drain----------------vent----trap------shower
2" vent and sink trap----|
...........................to sewer

(I notice in the discussion board, all the spaces are removed, so I added periods so you see the layout correctly. Ignore the periods.)

I was careful to allow 1/4" slope (or slightly more) per foot of run, so the water would have to run a couple of feet uphill to get out of the tub drain. In addition, I used all long sweep Ts and elbows in the horizontal runs. Any ideas what might have caused the water to backup out of the tub drain? The only thing I can think of is something caught in the line down from the T where the 2 inch shower drain meets the tub drain line. Since it's a brand new house, I was very careful not to let anything get in the lines...

Jamie

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks