Water coming up through kitchen floor

Users who are viewing this thread

ALP

Reaction score
So I came home today to find my kitchen floor doing a spot-on impression of the lost city of Atlantis. Water is seeping outward from underneath the kitchen sink cabinet (NOT from the visible pipes under the sink) and seeping out/up from some of the edges of the room. It seems to have saturated the bottom of the cabinet, too. I live in an apartment, so I've got to call management, but in the meantime, will it help to shut off the water valves under the sink? Since the leak seems to be somewhere in the floor or the wall, I wasn't sure if that would help or potentially make things worse. If anyone knows or can think of anything else to do, please let me know!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The handles under the sink just turn off the water going to the faucet. It will not help to shut it off.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOmetimes, there will be a shutoff for your specific apartment...IF you have one, that would help prevent further damage.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOmetimes, there will be a shutoff for your specific apartment...IF you have one, that would help prevent further damage.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A bit late to point this out, but everyone should know where the shut off valves are for there home. Not that you should be doing the repair work on a rental, but to stop further damage. Same for gas and electric service.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A bit late to point this out, but everyone should know where the shut off valves are for there home. Not that you should be doing the repair work on a rental, but to stop further damage. Same for gas and electric service.

I've told my tenants many times, where, how, what and why - all about the shutoffs - and they still don't know anything. The same goes to the smoke alarms, automatic sprinkler timer, sprinkler heads, renter's insurance for their belongings, earthquake kits, emergency water supply, and more.

Most tenants, not all tenants, have the same indifferent mentality towards things that have the potential to affect their lives in a negative way when they go bad, they don't give a hoot.

In this case, the leak could be external, from another apartment, but the huge damage is already everywhere. The first place that I would look is faulty drain someplace.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks