Washing Machine Drain Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott5RR

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing my first property and we have ran across ... this ... as our drain for the washing machine.

150317AC-4.jpg

That existing pipe in the drain is the discharge line for the AC. We are trying to figure out how to hook the discharge line into the proper spot. The corrugated discharge lines are too big, and the rubber ones deform and block up the majority of the drain. We are afraid that it may block up too much of the drain, and not allow air to escape which could pop the drain hose off causing water damage. Any ideas that don't require major surgery to a wall?

Scott

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Scott, I'm not sure you have a grip on how a washer drains. If you do, then this will be redundant, but a washer drains through a drain hose that has a U shaped end that just hangs over the drain pipe. It is not connected other than by that hook on the end of the hose. Newer washers require a 2" drain pipe as these washer dump water very rapidly. Of course, there should be a P traps at the bottom of the drain pipe which, if you have one, is hidden by the dry wall. Now, the AC discharge line also drains into an open pipe, but the volume is much less than the washer. You can combine these two drains by installing a 2" tee on the washer drain. The washer drain hose would hang over the top of this tee. Then, from the side outlet of the tee, elbow up with a pipe for the AC discharge.

Scott5RR

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Gary. Yes, I understand that the drain hose (normally) hangs over the drain pipe (though, that is cool to know about the newer washers). My problem is that the AC discharge line is coming through the top (middle) of the washing machine outlet box and continues all the way into the drain pipe, which is at the bottom (middle) of outlet box. I can't install a traditional discharge hose as the existing AC discharge line occupies over half the pipe width, and I can't slap a T on top of the drain because the existing AC discharge pipe has no accessible end for me to slip it over onto the discharge pipe. I'd considered cutting the AC drain and routing it into the T as you suggested, but I suspect that would really crowd the outlet box as I would have to add three 90 degree bends to the shortened AC line, and to get those to clear the water inlet lines would put one of them almost on top of the T possibly blocking it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have enough room to cut some of the 3/4" pipe off, put a 3/4 x 1/2 reducing coupling on the pipe and insert a 1/2" pipe into the drain to give you room for your washer drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks