washer p trap problems

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mema, Jul 28, 2010.

1. mema

mema New Member

My washer smells like sewer after I use it .It doesn't happen immediatly just a day or so after . I cut a hole in the wall and it feels like the p trap is empty. i tap on it and it sounds hollow. Can there be somthing in it and it is soaking up the water? Or is the a possible vent issue.You can't see anything in the vent on the roof ,but that doesn't mean there isn't something in further down.What do I do now?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Are you sure it is a P trap and not an S trap. S traps besides being illegal, S traps will siphon dry.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A picture might help. If the p-trap is not vented properly, it could get siphoned dry by other fixtures draining. Note, if this is a front-loader, some designs are better than others, and many find that leaving the door open for awhile after finishing so it can dry around the seals is required, or it starts to smell nasty.