Very small leak in large pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
Gents,
I just built a rotary brass tumbler and made the barrel from 6" PVC.
Upon water testing I found I have a tiny leak at one spot on each fitting. <One-drip-per-minute small.
I don't want to start over on the barrel because the cost of 6 inch fittings was a big chunk of the budget on this tumbler.

How do you find & seal such a leak?

Screenshot_20210213-203002_Video Player.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cap off put some air in it ( a few pounds only) hold it under water like an inner tube . With ABS I've used a hot knife ( not too pretty) or some kind of glue right where leak is

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
cap off put some air in it ( a few pounds only) hold it under water like an inner tube . With abs Ive used a hot knife ( not too pretty) or some kind of glue right where leak is
I like Jeff Young's answer but will add that when he said "a few pounds only" that means less than 5 PSI, PVC pipe can shatter when exposed to air pressure. You might be better served if you use a bicycle tire type pump to control the pressure. Only add enough to see the bubbles.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you look around, you can find people describing dissolving some pvc shavings into pvc glue. Assuming you have located the leak area, then create a vacuum in your cylinder with your wet dry vacuum cleaner. Suck in some primer thru the leak. Then suck in some pvc+cement thru the leak.

It could be that just primer and glue, with no pvc dissolved in it, would work.

Another idea is to suck some mixed 2-part liquid epoxy into the crack. Be quick if that is 5-minute epoxy.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you look around, you can find people describing dissolving some pvc shavings into pvc glue. Assuming you have located the leak area, then create a vacuum in your cylinder with your wet dry vacuum cleaner. Suck in some primer thru the leak. Then suck in some pvc+cement thru the leak.

It could be that just primer and glue, with no pvc dissolved in it, would work.

Another idea is to suck some mixed 2-part liquid epoxy into the crack. Be quick if that is 5-minute epoxy.

Hey, Im learning some tricks now!

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Not trying to be critical of your work but the next time you invest that much money into PVC pipe and fittings you might want to invest in primer.
I suspect the reason for your leak might be the lack of primer which is neccesary for a proper glue joint.
I only suspect this because I see no evidence of primer on your pictures, but it is possible that you are way neater than 95% of the plumbers I know.

By the way, that is a very nice homemade tumbler. I know you said "brass" are you referring to Ammo?

Guy48065

Reaction score
Not trying to be critical of your work but the next time you invest that much money into PVC pipe and fittings you might want to invest in primer.
I suspect the reason for your leak might be the lack of primer which is neccesary for a proper glue joint.
I only suspect this because I see no evidence of primer on your pictures, but it is possible that you are way neater than 95% of the plumbers I know.

By the way, that is a very nice homemade tumbler. I know you said "brass" are you referring to Ammo?

Clear primer.

Guy48065

Reaction score
The leak on the INside might not line up with the exit on the OUTside.
I like the idea of trying to suck a sealer into the leak because I can do that from the outside and because the leak itself will draw in the sealer. This feels like a legit fix rather than a bandaid.

If that doesn't work then I can always caulk the joint from the outside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks