very loud well shallow well pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by fordfitz, Aug 26, 2007.

1. fordfitz

fordfitz New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Well I have a craftsman 1/2 shallow well jet pump in my basement. It pumps fine, However the sound is unbearable. I have tried to search on here for who makes the quitest pump. I cant seem to find the answer. So my question is which manufactuer makes one that I will not hear in my living room? Thanks in advance Mike
  2. yar02169

yar02169 Member

May 7, 2007
    Quincy, MA
    I am by no means a pro, but I have had a system working well, but the pump was in cavitation. If you have some cavitation, I don't think there is anything that can make it quiet.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Jul 15, 2005
    Water well and pump tech.
    Riverview, Fl.
    Yar could be right, your pump may be cavitating. If so, you can remedy that by backpressuring the pump until the noise stops.

If you bought a Sears plastic pump, they sound like that out of the box and nothing will quiet them down. If you want a quiet pump, you need a good brand with a cast iron housing. Like the ones I sell:
    Jet Pumps