venting sink

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by lorraine, Mar 10, 2005.

1. lorraine

lorraine New Member

I am remodeling a bathroom and I want to move the sink to another wall; opposite the toilet wall. I am wondering about how to vent the drain. Is there a way I can put in an in-line vent that vents in the wall?...or can I vent it out an exterior wall? I am on the second floor of a three flat so I don't have access to the roof for draining. what is the easiest way to do this????

thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

The easiest way and the correct way are not always the same. You have other tenants living above you so you cannot stick it out the wall. Pressure from water draining above your unit could pressurize your trap and make it spit water out at you if you use an AAV.
  3. lorraine

lorraine New Member

aav vent

I am still trying to come up with a solution for the vent. I want to do it the right way. Can I use a mechanical vent in the wall for venting? I heard positive things about them. any feedback?
    thanks
  4. Check with your Building Inspection Department to see if you can use an air admittance valve under the sink per local code.
    http://www.studor.com/index.htm
    Good luck!
    Mike
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

aav

YOu will hear "positive things" about them from the manufacturers and guys who use them in order to avoid doing the job "right". Those of us who work with plumbing on a continual basis know that there are situations where they are about the only solution, but also realize that under certain conditions they are the same as having no vent at all. The original concept behind the AAV was that you would install a vent system and then use the AAV as the final piece of it. In your case a plumber would either design some way to get your vent back to the vent stack, and there is more than one way to do it, or use an AAV as a last resort.