Venting of Standard Vent Boiler

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by ssen105, Oct 30, 2013.

1. ssen105

ssen105 New Member

Hi, I have been told that I have a standard vent boiler installed (I purchased the house a year back) with side of house venting. Is this a problem? Does it need a vertical Line Chimney/can the side way vent be modified? Or do we have to change it to a direct vent boiler?

Thanks

Sam

2. Dana

Dana In the trades

Atmospheric drafted boilers need a vent stack sufficiently tall to achieve the necessary draft pressures, and must extend above the ridge line of the house to limit the risk of back-drafting due to wind. If your side-vented atmospheric boiler has a tall enough stack it can still work. If it simply terminates at the wall somewhere between grade and the eaves, it's a hazard.

Do you have a model name/number for the boiler, and a picture of the venting arrangement from both the inside and outside of the house?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

That depends. If it's an atmospheric vented boiler it needs either a chimney or a power vent.

5. ssen105

ssen105 New Member

>
    Thanks. Below is the model detail. The venting system is (sorry I could not attach photos) direct vent which turns to the wall 2 feet above the upper
    side of the Heater.

Apollo Hydro Heater, Automatic Storage Water Heater, Model A650YRRTL5, capacity 50G
    Input BTU/HR 65000
    Max Inlet 14.00
    Min Inlet 5.00Max Work Pressure 150 PSI

Hope