Venting for utility sink

Users who are viewing this thread

user10

Reaction score
I want to install a utility sink in the garage. I opened the wall in the garage and found a waste pipe, from a bathroom upstairs. Can I tap into this waste pipe for my utility sink?

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
You can tie into that drain, but you're going to need to vent the utility sink or everytime someone flushes, the sinks trap is going to loose its seal.

user10

Reaction score
what wpuld happen if the waste pipe is used as a vent

whta would happen if the waste pipe from the upstairs bathroom was used as the waste and vent for the utility sink?

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Everytime someone flushed the toilet the utility sink trap would be siphoned and you'd get a sewer gas smell coming out of the u/s drain

user10

Reaction score
How effective are trap air vents?

Are trap air vents reliable and offer good performance?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are refering to air admittance valves, many plumber on this board have no use for them. I have 2 in my home and they work fine. You do have to have an outside vent in the system, and I would not bury a AAV in a wall or other difficult to access place.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
AAVs are allowed by code here in Ohio as long as there is a vent on the system. I try not to install them however because actually venting the fixture works better. In some cases though they may be a necessary evil. As Gary said, dont bury it in a wall or put it in an inaccessible location. You'll want to be able to get to it so it can be changed when it fails.

Good luck

EAP

Reaction score
RioHyde said:
AAVs are allowed by code here in Ohio as long as there is a vent on the system. I try not to install them however because actually venting the fixture works better. In some cases though they may be a necessary evil. As Gary said, dont bury it in a wall or put it in an inaccessible location. You'll want to be able to get to it so it can be changed when it fails.

They must be code approved in your area to use. They must be placed at least 4 inches above the top of your trap but you must attach it to a seaparate fitting before the trap to accomplish that. And yes they must be accessible in case of failure, meaning you can't hide them in walls.

Yeah, a number of plumbers don't like them, but I don't think I would call them a necessary evil.

I may be opening a firestorm by saying this, but they serve a worthwhile purpose in many installations understanding their limitations such as these are no substitute for at least one traditional vent-to-roof to allow sewer gas to be released, something the AAV will not permit. In many cases, they perform as well as a traditional vent. These have been in use in Europe for example since 1972 and here in the U.S. since 1989 in some areas. Some of the manufacturers of these devices (well known plumbing suppliers) offer a lifetime guarantee.
island_vent.gif

Their use as a substitute in a complicated and labor-intensive island venting scheme are notable and impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks